Just for fun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is no VIP sticker on the tank. I'll bet he does not have a C card for high altitude giant strides.

I remember those tank harnesses - they were made by Healthways or one of those other long-gone companies. There was a fastening mechanism on the inside of the plate that you had to tighten with a wrench after you spronged the metal band down in the correct slot. Once it was on, it was on come hell or high water. The USD cam backpack was way easier to use.
Great looking fins AND a beavertail wetsuit. Cool beans.

I am pretty sure he is jumping from a helicopter. That water looks like it is being hit by a rotor downdraft.

Plus like someone else already said it looks like the left shoulder harness isn't over his shoulder.

I'm not sure what's wrong with the photo, I've jumped off piers that had drops similar to what he's doing.

Y'all are makin' me feel old talking about 'vintage' equipment, I still own a tank with a J-valve and a wet suit that has a beaver tail, I don't use them much anymore, but I do still use my 24 year old USD Conself XIV reg., wouldn't dive without it.

Left shoulder strap is flapping in the breeze.

I don't think that is a shoulder strap. At least not for the harness. If you look where the band is, then follow it to the right it looks as if the harness is made of black webbing. I have no idea what they yellow strap is. Could it be a strap for a horse collar? Maybe a support for the Rambo knife?

hambleto:
I don't think that is a shoulder strap. At least not for the harness. If you look where the band is, then follow it to the right it looks as if the harness is made of black webbing. I have no idea what they yellow strap is. Could it be a strap for a horse collar? Maybe a support for the Rambo knife?

No, you're seeing the duct tape holding his wetsuit together. It is a shoulder strap. Look closely at the right side. You can see the shoulder strap in the proper position there.

Wow, it amazes me at how many people don't know about the history of scuba diving, let alone what the gear used to look like! I'm recently certified, but my dad used to have a set-up like that which he ALMOST gave to me! There was a molded plastic backpack with a metal tank band (the reflective thing that many are calling duct tape) that was used to secure the tank to the pack. BC's didn't exist back then, and you simply used a minimal ammount of weight to compensate. The twin hose regulator was standard equipment. The tank probably has a J Valve, (I have a scuba book my dad gave me that reads something like, "Diving below 30 feet with a K valve is not recommended because it does not offer any reserve air for a safe ascent.") It amazes me that people love the movie, "The Deep" but don't realize the gear used in that movie is nearly the same gear as shown in the picture! (BTW, they didn't have BC's in "The Deep" either!)

sharky60:
..snip..
Y'all are makin' me feel old talking about 'vintage' equipment, I still own a tank with a J-valve ...
..snip..

As long as divers have to dive in ZERO viz where it's impossible to read an SPG, J-valves will always have some use.

Back
Top Bottom