Just for fun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chip104:
awesome pic. Where'd you get it? I'm young and clueless.
The pic's are on the web.

I was one of those guys when I was young and clueless. Never got to see that view with an actual capsule but did see it with a lot of training ones. I was there for the last half of the Gemini project and well into the Apollo program. I got out 2 months after Apollo 13 where again, as usual, I was the bridesmaid and not the bride.

Had I gotten an actual capsule I’d still be having the orgasm. :D

Just go on-line type in Mercury, Gemini or Apollo and you will see some amazing stuff.

You don’t realize how small they were until you see people next to them out of the water. They will fit in the back of a full size pick-up truck. Apollo was quite a bit bigger but still small.

For those that like those floppy fins try these some time. But don't try and go very far.

As far as the old Healthways gear went it was trouble for us. The day I graduated Scuba training, both times, we were ordered to NEVER use it. We were also told that if we were ever caught diving in Heathways gear we would be subject to a less than honorable discharge. They were serious but the order was directed towards regs and tank valves.

Gary D.

partridge:
Ok for all us young guns or clueless out here. Just what did Gary say that gave him away?

Well, it really wasn't what he said. It was some stuff I noticed in the pictures in my earlier posts.

I noticed he was diving from a helicopter. I could tell from the UDT fins and the fact that he was jumping from a helicopter that he was probably a Navy diver. The fact that he didn't appear to have a weightbelt made me suspect he was acting as a rescue swimmer (since it meant he never planned to leave the surface). Then Gary confirmed it for me when he pointed out the marker canister on the knife.

As far as I know helicopter rescue swimmers don't usually wear tanks so that part seemed weird. The only place I could ever remember seeing a rescue swimmer jump out of a helicopter in scuba like that was during footage from when they recovered the space capsules. Since his gear was from that period it fit, so I just made a guess.

Gary D.:

I was one of those guys when I was young and clueless. Never got to see that view with an actual capsule but did see it with a lot of training ones. I was there for the last half of the Gemini project and well into the Apollo program. I got out 2 months after Apollo 13 where again, as usual, I was the bridesmaid and not the bride.

Still makes for some pretty cool stories! :D

Best I've got is that I have seen one in the Air & Space museum! :wink:

Gary D.:

That's cool. I thought maybe it was from your personal stash of collectables. I compare it to nowadays with the people bringing out their digicams to the field - the military soldiers, EMS, maybe even astronauts. There's a lot of photos out there that show a more personal perspective of historical events that would be cool to see. Like it would be cool to see a picture taken by Michael Bloomfield on his personal camera during blast off. I'm sure a lot of personal pics taken by soldiers in the war in iraq will be coming out in 20 years. And young and clueless people will be discussing the photos like us!

Gary D.:

Had I gotten an actual capsule I’d still be having the orgasm. :D

If I had even been part of the training program!...

Back
Top Bottom