just got my gear "serviced"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PNWDVR

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So, I bought some old gear and had it serviced by a LDS. I told them that the BC was self inflating, they made a note of it, shipped it off and I got it back in a week, which is standard around here. I got the BC back without any old parts attached even though the receipt said that parts were changed out (second time this has happened to me with this shop). I took it home and a couple of days later I decided to hook it up to a tank and make sure it was fixed. As you've probably guessed, the problem wasn't fixed. So I took a couple minutes to calm down and called the shop to say "WTF??!!" in the nicest way that I could. They told me to bring it in so they could check it out, after quickly determining that it wasn't my fault, they sold me a new inflator minus the cost of parts, (looking back on it I am not sure what I ended up paying labor for...) anyways, the dive shop manager asked me if I wanted to send the old inflator up to the shop (at no cost of course) to see if they could fix it, one week later I received my original inflator, complete with new O-rings in "working" condition. I have yet to test it out.

Just wanted to put this out into the SCUBAsphere and see what bounced back, I am not really sure how pissed I should be, or if I can really trust anyone to service my gear anymore... I don't think that, had the roles been switched, I would have handled it they way the shop did. I am pretty sure they wont see another dollar from me, and I guess I will just have to take this as a lesson learned; even clean looking shops with nice employees cant be trusted by appearance alone, also cheaper does not equal better.

I think there might have been a typo. To clarify, you got your BC back with no old parts attached but a malfunctioning inflator? Or with all your original parts still attached?

What exactly did they do to service your BC? If it was just to fix an inflator then I'd say they did a sloppy service job. I'd even go to say that they might have not replaced all the parts that could have been replaced.
Keep in mind that it might not be the shop, but the tech. I wouldn't boycott a entire shop just from one type of service. I'd boycott just that part of the service.

My own shop will replace the entire inflator rather than repair a broken one. The reason being a new generic inflator is only a few more dollars when you're comparing to the price of a parts for it.

Even good shops make mistakes every now and then. Maybe you just got unlucky. I don't know. If it happened to me, I'd probably give the shop a pass. Their customer service didn't seem too unreasonable.

FWIW, I always test out serviced gear before I leave the store with it. Consequently, any issues with the work are identified right away. I know that the shop tech was the last person to touch the gear. The shop knows that I didn't muck it up after I walked out the door with it. They accept responsibility for making it right, and I schedule a convenient time to pick it up after they get a second shot at fixing it.

Usually, when a shop overhauls a reg or BCD power inflater, the tech will give you the old parts (o-rings, seals) neatly packaged in a plastic bag to prove that the work was actually done. This doesn't happen 100% of the time, though. It all depends on the standard operating procedure of the shop you patronize. If having the old parts is important to you, be sure to specifically ask for them. Simple as that.

I don't know what kind of BCD and power inflater you have...but power inflater malfunctions aren't always serviceable by overhaul, which consists of cleaning metal parts and replacing lubed o-rings & Schrader valves. Sometimes one of the sealing surfaces is damaged and the entire button assembly or inflater body needs to be replaced...which costs almost as much as replacing the entire power inflater assembly (see g1138's post). Perhaps this might explain why the shop tech couldn't fix your problem initially. I'm saying all of this to let you know that, given your scenario, replacement of the entire power inflater is a legitimate course of action.

Anecdotally speaking, my main BCD has a standard K-style power inflater that I've had success overhauling several times (about once a year). Replacement o-rings cost just a few pennies. I did have to purchase a special tool for $6 to access the "innards" for servicing. Such standard inflaters are amenable to DIY servicing. :D Worst case scenario is that I have to replace the entire standard power inflater which costs $20-$30. No big deal.

My backup BCD is another story. It's a Seaquest Pro QD+ that has a proprietary Powerline power inflater. It's harder to get in there to fix stuff. I can't easily replace just the inflater assembly since there's a different sized opening in the pseudo-corrugated hose. The Schrader valve/valve core parts are not "standard" parts and would have to be ordered from Aqualung, I think. :( This implies an expensive repair...or at least more than I want to spend. I prefer the standard power inflaters for ease of DIY servicing, and I've resolved only to buy BCDs with standard power inflaters in the future.

Hope this helps put things in perspective...

I'm with bubbletrubble on this one. Mistakes do happen although I would have thought a final check by them would have indicated that the issue still persisted. I think the service you received after the fact was not unreasonable. I have had numerous issues after having my gear serviced by several different LDS, so many in fact that I lost all faith and have begun servicing my own gear. I too use the generic K-style inflators, they are very simple and as bubbletrubble has posted they can be serviced. I service mine annually and have not had any issues. I did however ruin one inflator by using a too small screw driver to hold the the hex nut on the oral inflator it slipped and I damaged the inflator body, had the throw that one in the bin but was a good lesson. DSS sell an inflator tool that makes disassembly very easy. Given the price of a complete inflator unit, around $30, I do carry a spare in my gear bag.

Just as a side note its good to test, where possible, all gear that has been serviced prior to diving, especially where any significant depth is involved, waste deep is good. Its pretty easy to check inflator/BC fill it with air and leave over night and check that it holds air, fill BC with air and put the the bath and look for bubbles, and attach to tank, before every dive, to ensure inflator is working properly i.e filling and dumping.

Just for interests sake, I'm not suggesting you service your own gear, there is a video o DSS site that I have linked to which shows the inner workings of a generic K-style inflator unit. Good luck and safe diving.

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?page=video

Note: Im not suggesting that all LDS are untrustworthy when it comes to servicing I'm sure most are competent. I've just had a run of bad luck.

Like buddasummer, I try to DIY service as much of my gear as possible. I overhaul my own regs, BCD power inflaters, and tank valves. It takes some time, but I find it fun and relaxing -- not too different from gardening. :D

Even though my LDS has technicians who usually do a very good job on regs, I found it annoying to have to drive back and forth to the shop to get the cracking pressure adjusted as the low pressure seat was breaking-in (which happens after an overhaul). I learned to adjust that setting on my second stages...and it was all downhill from there. Soon I was taking everything apart and servicing it myself. It's a "sickness," but the knowledge I have gained from gear servicing has saved a number of dives for my buddies.

Like buddasummer, I try to DIY service as much of my gear as possible. I overhaul my own regs, BCD power inflaters, and tank valves. It takes some time, but I find it fun and relaxing -- not too different from gardening. :D

Even though my LDS has technicians who usually do a very good job on regs, I found it annoying to have to drive back and forth to the shop to get the cracking pressure adjusted as the low pressure seat was breaking-in (which happens after an overhaul). I learned to adjust that setting on my second stages...and it was all downhill from there. Soon I was taking everything apart and servicing it myself. It's a "sickness," but the knowledge I have gained from gear servicing has saved a number of dives for my buddies.

I too have contracted the "sickness"..I think it's a waterborne pathogen:wink:

My own shop will replace the entire inflator rather than repair a broken one.
g.gif

I service my own gear.

Well the other two seam more forgiving than I am, I find this totally unacceptable. So you gave them your BC to the shop for them to repair, they gave it back to you with out fully repairing it and then sold you a new inflator then had your old inflator repaired. well it worked out good for the shop, they got your money for a repair and sold a new inflator and for your troubles they installed the new inflator for free which takes all of 30 seconds. Just as a disclaimer I work in a service industry repairing cars at a Chevy dealer and I will fully admit that crap happens and some times you just have to deal with it. But the scuba industry is different, they preach that you have to "have your "life support gear" serviced every year by a professional factory trained technician" and they cant sell you parts to repair your own gear for liability reasons. So as I understand it, it is ok for them to screw up your service but not ok if you do. This thinking really gets my goat. If you are going to be preaching all of this "life support and liability crap" shouldn't there be some checks and balances in the service system, kind of like the aviation repair industry has? Hay if you want to talk the talk then walk the walk, or get off your high horse and let the public purchase parts so they can repair there own gear. What In think should have happened when the problem was found is the shop should have loaned you a power inflator while they repaired your faulty inflator "which they should have done in the first place" and then offered up some free air fills and apologies.

When I have my LDS service my gear, they do it on site. That is because I bought it from them. I always specifically request all replaced o-rings, valves, and other parts be returned after servicing and repairs. I toss the o rings but label and retain the valves as "used parts" than I can use in an emergency, and have, though for other divers stuff, not my own. I clearly label them by year as well. I know everyone has their own routine, but whether it's scuba gear servicing or repair or having work done on your car, I think you need to specifically ask for the old parts before the work begins if you expect to get them back.
DivemasterDennis

Back
Top Bottom