Just Renting a Boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just one more reply can't hurt :D

1.) I own a boat

2.) But I shore dive exclusively.

Reasons? There are tons of great shore dive locations. Adding a boat to the mix just increases the stress (for me).... I have to worry about all the boat logistics (trailering, launching, mooring, navigation, etc.,); boating safety issues; and boat-diving safety issues.... when all I really want to do is relax and dive!

Shore dive to save some $$, and use one of the great operators in Kona to do the night Manta dive and maybe a day boat dive or two.

Your "stress level" and wallet will thank you!!

Best wishes.

You can rent boats at the small boat harbor for around $600 for eight hours, if I recall. They are 19 ft outboard runabouts similar to the Triumph boats. I don't know if they would handle 6 divers and gear, but you could contact Kona Boat Rentals and inquire. Maybe they have larger boats. The mooring ball locations are readily available - you'll need a GPS since the balls are submerged - or you could leave a captain aboard the boat. It wouldn't be safe or responsible to drop anchor at most sites.

Considering a day of 2-tank diving for 6 will run close to $1000 (more, if you want to go to farther sites), for DM-led diving, renting a boat could be an attractive option, though of course with its own different set of risks and other considerations. With the harbor boat rental, you can also fish with gear that's provided at no extra cost, as I recall. Don't count on catching tuna/ono/mahi mahi, but it's not out of the question, and something to do while cruising to the dive site.

You might also try posting a Craigslist ad. I've done both, and been happy with the results.

Another thought - with 6 you can probably charter an entire dive boat, which should provide some control over sites and timing. In my experience, it's usually better to go in the AM if you're in a small boat. The wind chop will more often be in the afternoon, when it comes up.

I looked into the lava diving and found it hard to get good information. The best I could find out was that it might cost $1000, and you might find it hard to get boats to take you there unless you were some kind of professional. Lava flows into the ocean come and go, from what I can tell, so you'd have to check at the time of your trip.

As far as the Volcanic activity, it would seem no one wants to take anyone there, primarily because of ins. My research so far shows that with a well planned dive, most of the risk can be mitigated. That being said, it still isnt your average dive. But it really looks like it isnt an option from a commercial operation.

As far as the Volcanic activity, it would seem no one wants to take anyone there, primarily because of ins. My research so far shows that with a well planned dive, most of the risk can be mitigated. That being said, it still isnt your average dive. But it really looks like it isnt an option from a commercial operation.

Sorry, seems like I'm being a "downer" with my replies in this thread, but I want to provide some "local knowledge"; here is what the nice folks at the Hawaii Volcano National Park have to say about viewing lava entering the ocean, and the reasons for extreme caution when doing so, and the reason you'll have trouble finding dive operations running "lava tours":

HAZARD ALERT: Lava entering the ocean builds lava deltas. The lava delta and adjacent areas both inland and out to sea are some of the most hazardous areas on the flow field. Frequent delta/bench collapses give little warning, can produce hot rock falls inland and in the adjacent ocean, and can produce large local waves. The steam plume produced by lava entering the ocean contains fine lava fragments and an assortment of acid droplets that can be harmful to your health. The rapidly changing conditions near the ocean entry have been responsible for many injuries and a few deaths.

http://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/lava2.htm

A wind shift while you are underwater could potentially force the dive boat driver to move offshore.... the risk from the acidic gasses produced is quite real at the close range you'd need to position the dive boat in order to dive near the lava flow.

Best wishes.

I agree, when you get to the island you quickly understand the geography of where you are. Do all your diving on the west side of the Island and make sure you go to Kalapana and go to the hippy village at the end of the road. You are looking for Uncle Roberts google map it!

Be prepared to see hippys doing what hippys do best!

OO and this --- Hawaii Lava Tours

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom