Keep your dive buddies closer...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree of course that distance apart has almost all to do with viz. Sometimes 2 feet (or even a line connecting you, though I've not done this) is needed. Whereas in 100 ft. viz (I've also not seen that) I can only imagine how far apart would be OK. All the stuff divers are trained to do with buddies is important but little of it matters if you don't CONSTANTLY look at each other. That's one of the reasons that I prefer solo diving on shallow sites, but's that's another dead horse to beat.

I love these threads.... There are so many opinions.... it's like liquid tenderizer for the brain.....

if you are diving with a buddy you should be no less than 7 feet apart and always giving a quick look at one another, just to make sure.

What would be the problem with being closer together than 7 feet?
Good question—has this been clarified? Based on the thread title and the balance of his post, I'm sure Ozwald meant no more than 7 feet apart.

I, myself, am happier to be no less than 7 feet from my buddy, but I wouldn't promote that as exemplary buddy policy.

I get the feeling this is disagree with NetDoc at all costs day for you. You took me to task here for relying on audio clues and now you claim to do the same? Even with a thick hood? Like the other thread, you're saying that I am right, but you still want to proclaim me to be wrong. Are we running for the same office somewhere?
@NetDoc: I would say it's coincidence that I ended up disagreeing with you on two separate threads.
I don't know you personally, but I'm sure you're a nice person. We just happen to disagree on a few points with regard to scuba. From my point of view, it's not a big deal. FWIW, I disagree with people all the time. In real life, I'd like to think that I'm slightly more tactful. At this point, if it were appropriate, I'd usually say something like, "Hey, wanna grab a beer?" :D

To clarify my point on closing one's eyes during a dive...
Audio cues = good.
Relying on audio cues alone (when visual sensory information is available) = not such a good idea.
Closing one's eyes (for longer than a blink) during a dive may be perceived as a sign of complacency.
This is just my opinion. I'm a recreational diver. I don't do long deco hangs in the water. Perhaps if I get some tech training, I would understand that it's OK to close my eyes to take a short nap during a safety stop. Until then, I'll restrict my Zen moments to when I'm meditating on dry land and don't have the responsibility of looking out for the safety of a buddy. While diving, I want to be relaxed but keep a certain amount of tension going so that I can react quickly if something bad is about to happen. That's just me. I realize others like to dive differently. :idk:

I agree of course that distance apart has almost all to do with viz. Sometimes 2 feet (or even a line connecting you, though I've not done this) is needed. Whereas in 100 ft. viz (I've also not seen that) I can only imagine how far apart would be OK. All the stuff divers are trained to do with buddies is important but little of it matters if you don't CONSTANTLY look at each other. That's one of the reasons that I prefer solo diving on shallow sites, but's that's another dead horse to beat.

TM...concur with some aspect. Distance has to do with vis, depth and redundancy on the part of all team members.

In 100 ft vis and 20 ft of water, you could afford having a bit more distance between buddies as the surface still represents a viable option in case of equipment malfunction. As it has been mentionned in a previous thread, it should still represents a breath away from an air source. As the vis reduces, the distance has to shrink as well and at times you may have very little choice but to swim within one to two arm spacing and even shoulder to shoulder.

A friend and I discussed the buddy separation aspect wrt depth during my last trip and we both agreed. The deeper you go, the closer you get because the surface quickly vanish as a viable option (we valled it the V model)...unless all members of the team carry redundancy which very few do at the basic level.

CONSTANLTLY...A bit strong as a word. I would use periodically, regularly, frequently instead.

Last edited:
From my Januray Blog, "Keep your friends Close and Your Dive Buddies closer:

"How close should your stay to your dive buddy?" This question has been raised and discussed regularly here on scuba board for years. Lately it has been coming up quite often. Responses have been quite varied, and some have been a little disturbing. In my observation, some divers think being in the same ocean with their buddy is all that is required. The simple truth is that you should stay close to your buddy throughout a dive. But how close is close? First of all, that depends on conditions. If the visibility is limited, if there is current, especially strong current, then buddies should stay within touching distance. Next, how close you should be depends on who your buddy is. Diving with a buddy whose skills and habits are well known to you, and with whom you have done a lot of diving, it may well be ok to be a little "less close" than when you are diving with someone you just met. My wife Debbie is my dive buddy when she is on a dive trip with me. We have hundreds of dives together, but still stay close- fingertip touching distance. It's a habit. When diving with others in similar conditions, I always want to stay within a close enough distance so that I can respond to them, and they to me, in the event of any emergency. Emergencies are not limited to air depletion. They can include entanglement, equipment malfunction, injury, or I suppose even coming under attack from an aggressive sea creature. Not just proximity to a buddy, but awareness of where they are, is important for safety, and for just sharing the joy of the dive and the things seen during the dive. It doesn't take long for buddies to become separated if they are not focused on an awareness of where each is. I think people need to be taught to do that. Look around and mark your buddies' location and activity regularly- often- even constantly. Debbie has a habit of staying to my left and about a foot above me. She is comfortable there, and it makes it easy for each of us to keep track of the other. If you have a regular buddy, there is a lot to be said for having a standard "formation" like we have. So, stay close, be aware of each others location, confirm it regularly, and share the dive. There is never an excuse to be separated from your buddy. If you are diving with someone new, maybe someone you just met for the first time on the dive boat that day, talk before the dive. Learn their dive history and competence level and share yours. Note their equipment color and configuration,so you can recognize them. Clarify your expectations, and don't be timid about admonishing them if they suddenly take off chasing something, oblivious to your whereabouts.
How close should you stay to your buddy? Close. And close is not enough. Stay close AND be aware of where they are. Diving with a buddy is fun and safe. It reduces stress and anxiety, and it gives you extra spotting of interesting stuff to see, and someone to share the experience. Keep your friends close, and your dive buddy closer. All the time.

DivemasterDennis

Having been to Roatan numerous times, I can say that the diving there is different from anywhere I have encountered. Normally, the dive op I use had two DM's on the dives. One leading and one following. We really did not have assigned buddies, but one of the DM's was always close enough and watching should anyone have problems. It allowed for some to stop and take pictures and others to move up and down the wall a little ways looking for creatures.

Maybe a mod can peel off this new tangent, but I rarely need to see my dive buddy to know if they are OK. I listen to their breathing patterns and can almost always pick up any upcoming distress before they do. I was recently on a deco dive and my buddy was a bit put off that I laid my head down and nodded off. He hit the end of his deco and the act of getting ready to surface changed his breathing enough for me to look up. He had no idea how I was so zoned into him until I explained how rhythmic his breathing is. Often I can hear further than I can see, and I can hear what's happening behind me as well as above/below and to the side. It's just a part of being situationally aware.

Listening to them implies being within a reasonable distance, though, doesn't it? If the OP is comfortable with no more than 7 feet, how well can you discern breathing at distances of 20 feet? I think you're not likely to be that far from a buddy based on what I've read of your posts, but I think that was the OP's point. At least the way I read it... he would have been fine if the buddy didn't look at him, if the buddy had also stayed reasonably close.

Just to clarify. It wasn't the fact that I was uncomfortable with the distance or felt unsafe in any way. It's just that it kinda goes against my principles. For example. I went on a freshwater dive with a female friend of mine. We both took our OW together back a few years. I have managed to log many more dives than she just due to circumstances. I stayed within arms length of her the entire dive.

After the dive she mentioned that how secure she felt just knowing I was very close and at no time did she feel anxious or nervous just because and enjoyed the dive. My point is that at 120 feet I don't care how "experienced" of a diver you are stuff can happen real quick and if it should the ability to bolt to the surface isn't there anymore. I guess i am just a firm believer in "the buddy system" whether it's 40 feet or 140 feet. Overly cautious, maybe. Now while I have done solo dives it's not without a pony, twins and redundant inflation.

Not to mention I don't think there's anything that beats diving WITH someone rather than diving with someone. But that's just me.

You know what...it is your preference so as long as you find individuals who enjoy that closiness then it is great. Others will prefer a little bit more distance so they can manoeuvre without bumping into their buddies. At times there can be such a thing as being too close...for some of us.

Back
Top Bottom