Key Largo Questions...where to stay...who to use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amadeusmattes

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
We will be heading to the Keys around labor day and are curious where is a good place to stay around Key Largo, and which diveop to use.

Thanks,

Phil Mattes

A lot depends on your budget. Be real with your $$$. Theres a great spot for every budget level. I would highly recommend Bluewater Divers. They are located in the same parking lot as the Holiday Inn.

Here is an older thread that has some good info on places to stay in that area. Good luck and have fun in the Keys!

amadeusmattes:
We will be heading to the Keys around labor day and are curious where is a good place to stay around Key Largo, and which diveop to use.

Thanks,

Phil Mattes

We stayed at Ocean Point. The rooms are very nice (condo style), and we would stay there again. However for the $160 a night for a one bedroom, they have some cheap attitudes/policies, and I was not thrilled with the customer service. But if you want a Luxury one bedroom with full kitchen and plenty of room, this maybe the way to go. I'll post a trip report when I get time.

In the under $100 range we spent one night at the Marina Del Mar Resort. The rooms are not as modern as some, but they are clean, good A/C, the bed was comfortable, and the pool area is very nice. I booked this with KeyLargoBrent whom I dove with, so I'm not sure if the rate I got was discounted.

I'd highly recommend BlueWaterDivers (KeyLargoBrent), and his Op. Comfortable boat, good air fills, rinse tub at the dock, personal service, and he limits the divers. We drifted the Grove, which was a great way to dive it, and I don't think most OPs provide that kinda service (but I have only used two down there) I also found it refreshing that he changed the dive plan (planned to do two Grove Dives, but did One, and the Benwood) because one of the divers we were with was not 100% comfortable with the current. Others may have found this annoying (we only had three on the boat so no one did :D ), but I applaud him for not pushing a dive/diver.

Both him and Capt. Marvel are layed back, and very nice guys to dive with. I'll definately book more dives with him next time we get back to Largo.

I've stayed at Ocean Pointe Suites and used Blue Water Divers. Both are recommended, the dive op moreso -- if you get in touch with Blue Water via email/ telephone, they can book a nearby hotel at better rates than you can find. See www.bluewaterdiver.net for contact info.

Ocean Pointe is on Tavernier and can be pretty pricey unless your other option is two hotel rooms elsewhere. Lots of privacy for two grown ups (I mean privacy from one another), though, so that was the major factor for us. Don't expect human amenities like housekeeping -- it's a condo resort and lots of people stay for the long haul. Again, I recommend it for bang-for-the-buck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom