Kid's diving dry...What do you think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with Walter. Having taught tons of kids in the past...all 12 and older. Holding off is prudent. A drysuit requires more task loading and in my experience kids are easily distracted and sometimes forget about buoyancy and adult-mastered skills.

X

Having had a quick look at the PADI site I see the min. age for cert. is 10 years of age. Geez.

I do remember a time when they had a program that used young kids (superstar/genuises/prodigies) etc. to advertise the sport...until one bit it. This was decades ago and my mind is fuzzy here.

Sorry , I am straying of topic but I'm with Walter on this one. I have two grand daughters that I cannot wait to bring into diving..when they are old enough to 1.) Save/help each other in an emergency when the buddy dive (always) and 2.) Save/help me in an emergency when we buddy dive (always) and 3.) get old enough to have less of a chance to avoid bone growing issues when they are closer to being their adult height. They still do not have enough data to convince me that bone growth will not be adversely effected in young age divers.

Wow thats nice. Growing your own dive buddy. COOL.
As to the dry, GO FOR IT> people think that kids can not do things as good as adluts. F-that. When growing up I used to fly R/C air planes at the age of 10. I started off with the trainers and so forth learing to fly and by the time I was 11 I was teaching flying to others (men as old as 70). I love to fly and still do, but what Im trying to say is if hes in love with diving he will know it better than lots of diver that have been diving for years.

When the Goverment makes airplanes and othere vehicals they put 10 year olds into he cockpit and let them fly in the simlulator. The Gov found out that the kids do better than adults. The kids have better learing skills than adults. Think about Kids that grow up in familys that talk two difrent langs. The kid can speek them both at a very young age. Try that now at 25-30???????

I dived with a friend who has a 12 year old (I think he was 12) diving dry. He (the 12 year old) did just fine. It would, I imagine that each case could be different though. If the kid is competent, and they can do it, then why not. It's not so much "task loading" that someone can't let air into their suit, or vent it - is it?

Captain CaveMan:
Wow thats nice. Growing your own dive buddy. COOL.
As to the dry, GO FOR IT> people think that kids can not do things as good as adluts. F-that. When growing up I used to fly R/C air planes at the age of 10. I started off with the trainers and so forth learing to fly and by the time I was 11 I was teaching flying to others (men as old as 70). I love to fly and still do, but what Im trying to say is if hes in love with diving he will know it better than lots of diver that have been diving for years.

When the Goverment makes airplanes and othere vehicals they put 10 year olds into he cockpit and let them fly in the simlulator. The Gov found out that the kids do better than adults. The kids have better learing skills than adults. Think about Kids that grow up in familys that talk two difrent langs. The kid can speek them both at a very young age. Try that now at 25-30???????

Care to share that data source/study? Are they testing ergonomics, or actual performance-based skills there?

X

If it's the same person that Howard is thinking of, I have dove with them too .. both very competent divers.
You will have to decide if your son is ready now ... I'll have to add that I think 10 years old, is not the same as 12 .. lots of "growing up" can happen in just that short time and this 12 year old already had a bunch of dives under his belt before switching to dry

I dont' see what everyone's problem is with the drysuit (other then financial reasons). Drysuit diving really isn't that much more complicated the wetsuit! Sometimes, i find it easier! Then again, i started off with a drysuit! Yes, you need to learn what to do when you get floaty feet, but that's about it! i don't believe there were many (if any) other exercises we had to do...well, hose removal, but i assume that is taught as well, except it would be the bc hose, we just do both, woopi, no biggi! 10 year olds aren't idiots, if they want to do something, they will learn, and i agree that they will probably learn quicker then most adults!
so i say GO FOR IT! If the kid wants to dive, let him dive, and let him go dry! if he gets cold quickly, then dry is the way to go, if he's uncomfortable with wet, then he's less likly to continue and all is a waste of time :p

This test was done on the F-22 Raptor.
http://www.eaa.org/communications/eaanews/pr/020710_raptor.html

They did this to get kids Ideas on the furture. This plane i going to be around for 25 years or more so why not get young ideas for it. Children do not think the same as adults and have a bigger idea range.
look ut for the history channel about the F-22 Raptor

Tuesday, January 23
11pm Modern Marvels: Extreme Aircraft. or 3am
TVG | cc

D_B:
If it's the same person that Howard is thinking of, I have dove with them too .. both very competent divers.
You will have to decide if your son is ready now ... I'll have to add that I think 10 years old, is not the same as 12 .. lots of "growing up" can happen in just that short time and this 12 year old already had a bunch of dives under his belt before switching to dry

Hitching onto Howard and D_B's posts, I have also dove with this young man. Very competent diver. Dad takes his (son's) diving seriously and put the proper limits on the dives they do together.

As far as keeping the child in a well fitting suit, Dad purchased the DUI tri-lam, knowing that with the telescoping torso, he could grow for a few years and still fit into the suit. However, he does expect to have to replace the attached feet and rock boots on an annual basis.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom