Kid's diving dry...What do you think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dumpsterDiver:
So I interpret DAN's recommendation to mean that young divers should use Nitrox to reduce Nitrogen loading.
I interpret DAN's recomendation as one written by their legal staff rather than their medical staff, a condition that DAN has long suffered from, unfortunately.

I dont see why he can't dive dry, most 10 yr olds make adults look stupid when they play them on video games or such (multi task loading multiplied !!!)..... If the kid is smart, and listens to directions and respects that what he is doing is dangerous. I'll bet he'll pick it up pretty quick, in fact I'd bet he'd pick it up faster than most adults would. So what if he starts his diving career as dry ??? he wont know any better, and if your instructor is a good one, he'll do just fine.

make sure you take a LONG course..... no 2 weekend cert crap, when i got my OW I was in 8'th grade, it was a 3 mos class... at least back then they were less a c-card mill, and cared more about the training. ppl nowadays don't want to spend that kind of time. if you can't find a place that will do a longer course, hire a private instructer to teach, you'll spend more, but you will learn ALOT more than you will in a quickie class.

It's a theoretical concern over long bone growth with no clinical evidence to back it up but plenty of anecdotal evidence that it's bantha poodu (e.g., I started diving at age 6, Sylvia Earle's kids at similar ages, same for Eugenie Clark, etc.)

Just my 2ct,

For the drysuit well no problem I think,for the 10 years old :confused:
I will NOT take him/her for a course,not for the mental thing,but for the fysical thing.
A 10 year old is still growing, I will not put a tank(whatever size) on their back,I will not be resonsible for the hernia when the are 18 but that is just me.

Hope you and your kid have lots of fun.camping,fishing,gaming or whatever

Thanks all,

A lot of good info. I hadn't really thought about long bone growth BUT I had planned on keeping him shallow and not allowing any 3-4 dive days the first few years. I appreciate everyone's opinion. It is nice to get viewpoints that I hadn't considered.

I am also glad we have managed to avoid some kind of "flame" throwing.

Again, thanks all

Robert

Back
Top Bottom