Kid's diving dry...What do you think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see a lot of anecdotal evidence here. Please consider that children are minors and that instructors in the US are held to a high degree of liability. As such, I would always recommend to parents and instructors a highly conservative approach to scuba because (in essence) there is really no rush.

Middle class entitlement aside - who cares if someone gets a notch that says I am a 10 year old certified diver, or similar equivalent? If the kid gets cold...make the dive shorter, or train where it's warmer. I've seen plenty of kids happy diving in a heated pool.

That being said there is a high degree of variability with respect to learning. I have yet to see one shred of evidence stating that kids learn faster than competent adults. Seriously, there is tons of evidence related to brain-based development and ther ability to perform motor functions, maintain focus as a function of age etc.

X

p.s. caveman - I appreciate the link. Will read.

Flatliner:
Hi all,

I would like your opinion. My son (age 10) is going to take his OW this spring/summer. He has tried an experience scuba and he has snorkeled with me several times and loves it, but he gets REALLY cold (even in a pool). We live in the mid-west and most of our regular diving will be lakes/quarries etc. Should I start him off diving dry with a small trilam suit (used, just a little too big but not leaking) or should I go the custom wetsuit route and get a new one every year. Just so you know, he is tall and slender and growing like a government program under a liberal administration...

Flatliner
aka Robert

If you already have the slightly used trilam suit that fits okay then why not go with that? IMO, it's just a financial decision.

Flatliner:
Hi all,

I would like your opinion. My son (age 10) is going to take his OW this spring/summer. He has tried an experience scuba and he has snorkeled with me several times and loves it, but he gets REALLY cold (even in a pool). We live in the mid-west and most of our regular diving will be lakes/quarries etc. Should I start him off diving dry with a small trilam suit (used, just a little too big but not leaking) or should I go the custom wetsuit route and get a new one every year. Just so you know, he is tall and slender and growing like a government program under a liberal administration...

Flatliner
aka Robert
I was facing much the same issue, a 10 year old diver that is growing faster than Haliburton no-bid contract (or was it the bank account of a republican congressman’s wife, never could remember) but anyway, we solve the issue … we’re moving to Hawaii and he’ll just dive in the Keys this winter.

Walter:
You should seriously reconsider the entire concept. Your child, your decision, but I would recommend waiting at least two years before putting him in any dive classes at all. In my opinion (shared by most agencies), it is not safe for 10 and 11 year olds to be diving at all. Yes, I know it's off topic and I know it's your decision, so I won't debate it with you, but researching the concept before putting him in class is an excellent idea.
As per usual, the agencies are full of it. I can point you to many “names” in the oceanographic and hyperbaric medicine worlds whose kids dive. It’s not for every child, but needs to be looked at on a case by case basis.

miketsp:
Without wanting to push the thread off topic I'm 100% with Walter.
A 10 year old diving let alone dry-suit diving? ***?
Also, if you start making this sort of investment he's going to feel he's under an obligation to carry on diving and that's not the sort of pressure you should be applying at this age.

Post edit PS.
Wow - SBs auto censor function kicked in on my comment above. Not often I feel so strongly about a subject that that happens.
The added pressure component is a good point I’d not thought of and should be evaluated.

Flatliner: Just be happy you got only one DS to buy:wink: . I got twin girls, and the other one informed me that she's gonna definately have a DS when strarting to dive (after 1,5yrs as she stated) with scuba. :euro:
They are now 8yrs, and quite good freedivers:snorkels: and I'm more or less trying hold the brakes with them, but not by being cheap with the equipment

Hi all,

Thanks for the great responses. As per his maturity, he wanted to start last year (when he turned 10) but I wouldn't let him, mostly because, to be honest, I am pretty sure he will pick up skills a lot faster than I am and I wanted a head start. I do believe he wants to do it, and can handle it.

As per cost, I think it may be less expensive to go with a trilam drysuit (used) for a few years rather than a new custom wetsuit every year (or twice/year).

I am a terminal DIYer and am pretty sure that I can do the things like change the booties as his feet grow and perform needed repairs on a used suit etc.

The point of the question was more 1.) with the task loading issue, I started dry and have not dived in a wetsuit BUT I have had trouble mastering some of the basic skills (however, I am OLD and the muscle memory doesn't come as fast as it used to), and 2.) His comfort. I want him to enjoy it and doubt he will if he is cold.

Thanks
Flatliner
aka Robert

Why make him cold?

If he's a confident, competant diver, then let him be comfortable. Contrary to some (inexperienced?) opinions diving dry is not difficult it is just a bit different from diving wet, and if you learn dry from the start then it's all you know.

Only vote against a DS for a 10 yo is cost for replacing due to growth, but since a DS is much more forgiving of size change even that is moderated.

Go for it

I'd be more concerned with this.....from DAN

Q: Our 12-year-old daughter has shown a great deal of interest in learning to dive and as a family, we have just experienced an introductory dive at our local dive shop. At our daughter’s recent physical exam, her pediatrician expressed some concern for her bone growth and scuba diving. It seems there are many youngsters involved in diving. Should we be concerned for our daughter’s growth and development if we decide to allow her to dive?

A: There are no conclusive epidemiologic studies that examine diving and the effects of bone growth among pediatric divers. Many physicians trained in diving medicine feel it may be prudent for adolescents to wait until an age when long-bone growth is complete before considering diving.

In general, the concern is focused on the possible formation of micro-bubbles in the bloodstream of all scuba divers. We often call these ‘silent bubbles’, which fail to produce any detectable symptoms, but are known to be present in the bloodstream of many divers. No one knows to what extent these bubbles could form in younger divers. Theoretically, these bubbles may obstruct blood flow in nutrient vessels to the epiphyseal plates, also called growth plates. This process may cause focal areas of avascular necrosis or angular deformity to the developing weight bearing long bones, particularly the femoral head, distal femur, and proximal tibia

Young divers should stay within the guidelines of the junior divers program. This will limit their exposure to nitrogen, by restricting depth, time and number of dives as well as allowing for maximum surface intervals to promote nitrogen off gasing. Although the concern is theoretical, conservative dive practices are recommended for junior divers.

So I interpret DAN's recommendation to mean that young divers should use Nitrox to reduce Nitrogen loading.

well... certainly if Nitrox is used but dives are planned on an air basis, then yes, you are adding another layer of safety

if you use Nitrox and dive to Nitrox's NDL's, you're sort of defeating the purpose

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom