Kinda sad...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As the wife who would not/could not dive, for many years, I would never ask my husband to give up something he loves! After many years (30), I overcame some issues that now allow me to dive and I recently became certified. I can't count the number of dive boats I have gone out on with my husband, had a great time and did some snorkeling while the rest of the folks were diving. Sorry, but having been married for 30 years, I have learned don't try to change someone, each of you need to have interests in your life that you enjoy, some will be with each other and some will not and that is what will make your marriage stronger!

Thanks again everyone for your replies. Let me state for the record that this was my idea. Linda did not ask me to quit and sell the gear. She wants me to do the things I enjoy. I just had a weak moment, had not been diving in over a year, etc... She is a great outdoor companion and would never ask me to give up something I want to do.

Port - don't give up something you enjoy. Find a way to make it work, otherwise you risk being resentful down the road. Now if scuba isn't your passion and was just a fun thing to do sometimes, then that is different. But anything you are passionate about should not be given up easily. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

Port You should buy a under water cam and take lots of cool pics and show her and one day she might be able to do it but till then if you ever come to Pensacola and wanna go shore diving just let me know . Me and a friend are going to Pensacola beach or maybe the paddle wheel haven't decided yet. If you know where it is send me a message or email me (scubadog1969@yahoo.com ) we would like to goto it .

I had ear problems the first time I tried, so I quit. But I tried again a few months later and made it.

My ear problems were the result of trying too hard. I blew and blew a million times learning to clear my mask, I equalized and equalized, all in my bathtub and friends pool. By the time my classes finally started I had raw ear and sinuses. I could not even begin to deal with the normal aniexty I felt because I had so much ear-sinus pain and raw feeling. So I quit.

After about 2 months (and several trips to the ENT) my ears finally got well. So I tried again.
This time I didnt practice ahead of times and I had absolutely no problems. I could blow enough air out my nose to clear my mask, and could equalize without pain. I would suggest that your new bride wait a while and try again.

If (as several other posters suggested its really nerves) then give her private lessons in a calm quarry.

p.s. Healing my ears and sinuses took time. I really think that the ear drops/ear dry, antibiotics, Dr trips, etc. did more damage than good. Time healed my ears.

Exactly..I totally agree. My buddy, best friend tried for years to get me interested in diving. I kept resisting because of fear but once the certification was overwith and now my AOW is done..I can't stay out of the water! Just over a year later and over 60 dives I wouldn't give up my gear for chocolate!

I'm looking to get some large wetsuits and some steel tanks... let me know how much you are selling them for :)

I need a 7mm and 5mm wetsuit.

Thanks

Some unsolicited advice, but worth a thought..................Your wife may be out due to her ears, and she may also be a bit uncomfortable because you love it so much and she sees that but maybe doesn't want to a smuch as you do. That's ok. Having said that, stay with it. Find what she is passionate over and help her invest the time and money in that endeavour. With each of you having your own hobby you will keep your own identity. That is important. Resentment has been mentioned and it is very true. My ex-wife dived but our diving differed as much as our outlooks. We were poor buddies, even before things went south. She loved the fish and I loved the history, wrecks and caves. From here find a third hobby that you both like and do that when you can. Like I said, unsolicited but something to think about.

A little different perspective:

31 years into a wonderful marriage, I look back and wonder if my husband had dove without me all those years, would our marriage and family be as strong today? Maybe! Maybe not?

My husband was certified at 13. He dove a few times during his teens, but after our marriage he just didnt have time. He talked about the good times he had, but he never suggested diving during the years we were raising our sons, too much little league baseball, mortgage payments, PTA, etc. I never asked him not to dive. He just knew something had to give and it was diving.

Now, we have entered our empty nest years and I just got certified. We love diving. At 49 & 51 we should have a few good years left to dive. (and ride a Harley, and do the Appalachian trail, get my masters degree, and do mission work in Dakar, etc. It may sound "corny" but the One Flesh Concept has served us well.

So I am a little relunctant to tell the original poster to keep on diving. But it could work for him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom