Lake Lanier Dive report(s)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well it was just as I stated earlier , A great day for diving . We got ther just after the gates were unlocked. (7:00am) The lake was smooth as glass the sun was up over the lakle brighjt orange ish yellow and reflected in the water . You just had to be ther .Tony and me got in the water at7:33 .the water was nice at the surface down to 25' to 30' and started to cool down. The viz was realy good down to 15' then got realy bad 2' to 5' . When yo get to 30' plus the viz opened back up but it got realy dark Dive was 54 minutes to 60 minutes . We swam around in the shallows for a little bit , My computer kept going in to surface mode and I would have to get as close to the bottom and get in to the deeper areas. We did two dive today I started out leading this dive did ok for he first bit but when we droped in to the realy crappy vis I got us all turned around . That it the one area I need the most work on. So we staied it the shallower areas .The second dive lasted 54 minutes .We got out of the water as all the crowed was starting to show up. Time to go home. Dive 1. Depth 63'. Temp. Surface 79 degrees. Temp. 31' 76 degrees. Temp. 40' 56 degrees. Temp. 60' my computer showed 60 dagrees ????? It felt colder than that. Second dive was about the same as the 1st

Last edited:
I wish I saw this yesterday. Cliff and I arrived at WBP at 11:20 AM. The crowd was indeed there and the sun was blazing hot. Dive 1 was to check weighting so I went with 800 PSI in a steel 95 and it turns out I need 0 lbs of weight. We went down to the giant slate and turned shortly after reaching it and practiced an air share drill on the way back to shore. Time was 23 minutes and 52 feet deep with 48 degrees at that depth.

Last Sunday we extended the range of our underwater territory by discovering a forest west of the slate rock, we ran a permanent line to it, but it was extremely cold.

After dive 1 I went back to the car to swap for a full steel 95. We went to the slate rock and cut-up the ski-line which posed an entanglement hazard. We then went down the new line we ran last Sunday to the forest to check it out. Time was 50 minutes, 73 feet deep and 43 degrees.

Do you guys tow the flag all over or do you drop it on a platform and pick it up on your way back in?

We need to try to go together next time.

Maybe reading warmer is a good thing as it makes you think the water is warmer than it is. I believe there must be some difference in how you feel if you see the temperature read-out as 55 as opposed to 45. In any event if your computer kept going to surface mode I suspect the sensor could be dirty. There are some posts here that say soak the computer in a vinegar/warm water mixture; maybe you could look them up and see if you have any success.

Ya I think I will try that . All the time it kept going in to surface mode I was above 4' or at 4' My computer automatically is set for that

The lake is warming up .Tony and myself hit the lake again Fri. At 1:30 pm . Not a big crowd , trafic on the lake was almost nill. The air temp. Was 92 by the air temp in my car. We did 2 dive of around an hour each the 1st was a deep dive . We found the one line that went deep . We fallowed it down went past where ther was a nother line that went of to the right (not shure were that line leads)we continued dow to 73'to 75'there was another line that went off of the line (where does that one go?)At that point Tony turned the dive. The temp. At that point it was 53 degrees. I think ther is a lag in my computers response to temp. Change.At 73'my profile shows a balmy 62 degrees . As we started back the temps started dropping . The viz was good between surface and 18' after 30' or so feet the viz was pretty good . But inbetween was realy bad .
Second dive:We decided to go without our hoods and stayed above 30'.I went with my lite reef gloves 2mm. I took the lead on this dive. We went out to the right around the finger of land that separates the dive cove and the swim area.As we got around and dropped down to 20' the vis wnt from 10' to 5' we hit the 30' area. And the viz went to 0' tryed to swim through it ,but it was not cleaing . At this point I turned the dive . We swam around the rif raf and sallow silt for a while I headed back to the cove and I. Realy mis judged how far we swam we stared seeing a lot of stumps . Tony signaled for me to go up and take a peek . Wow. I was about 20 yards past the picnic table area .I waved at the guy fishing on the shore and popped back down and took us back around to the cove . We swam around the rif raf to the right of the cove (as you are heading back in) Seen a small school of small strip bass or crappie
A GOOD 2 DIVES

Dive 1:
Max Depth 73'
Surface temp. 82
At 25'72 degrees
At 73.53 degrees
Viz 1'to 18'. 10
Viz 19'to 40' 3 to 4
Dive time 61 minutes

Dive 2:
Max depth 29'
Temps same as dive 1
Viz see dive 1
Die time 58 minutes

Tony if you can think of any thing I didn't cover . Please fill in the gaps

I am thinking about making a trip from down here Pensacola FL to there whats a good dive shop and maybe a web site to find out some info ?

The are a couple shops I use
Diver Supply Merietta and Aquatic sports LLC in Buford .
You can allso visit Dive Haven they have a web sight they are just north of Atlanta . There is allso lake Jocassee SC it is about 2 1/2 hours northeast
the diving there is realy good good luck baybe see you at one of these great spots

Dive safe. KEN

So I needed something to do so I called up Cliff and we decided to head over to Lanier. Long story short this was to be my first dive in doubles. We attached the steel LP 95 Doubles to my AL backplate and headed to Lanier. It stormed a bit on our drive and we ended up at West Bank Park with a slight drizzle and as the storm had passed geared up for Lanier.

Doubles take some getting used to, you cannot roll with them or bank to turn or they will roll you over. Once you get used to not banking into turns and once you get them on the sweet spot on your back it's comfortable. I definitely like the long hose configuration as well as the backup regulator so close to my mouth as it is on a necklace. We practiced air-sharing and valve shutoff drills in this configuration, so I definitely learned alot on this dive as it was something entirely different.

Now about the dive:

The lake level is down quite a bit since we were last at Lanier. We headed to the once 36 ft platform and it was in around 22 feet of water and (GASP) the line leading to the 50ft platform was nowhere to be found. Of course there are boaters who anchored in this cove and tore up several of our lines. Cliff and I went around and repaired most of the damage, while getting tangled up in line at least a few times. We then went to the slate rock and to the new forest we have found to see what vis was like. It turns out that it is still cold at depth, much colder than you would expect.

Stats:
30% O2
60 minutes dive time
Max depth 68'
Temp Surface: 83 degrees
Temp 20 ft: 77 degrees
Temp 50 ft: ~54 degrees
Temp 68 ft: 45 degrees

I think I will stick with Jocassee for anything deeper than 40 feet until I get a drysuit.

Back
Top Bottom