Lake Lanier Dive report(s)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whats there to see at Lake Lanier ? besides fish ?

It depends on where you go. Mud, beer cans and bottles, and pieces of brush and trees abound. You may see the occasional fish, wine bottle, or standing tree. Currently if you are in an area which opens to the main lake, visibility will be decent (~12 feet) until 28 feet. Vis turns to crap and clears again at around 40 feet (think 50 degrees F at this depth).

As to the forest comment, its actually in the 60-70 foot range. The woodpile is in 80 feet. Again its really cold at these depths (in the 40s). When Lanier was being filled at the 2030 ft above sea level mark the Corp of Engineers went out and cut all still-standing trees at the water line. So if you go to certain areas of Lanier you will encounter trees without their tops at roughly 40 feet below full pool.

joe8mofo her you going to come up to Jocasse and dive off Bill's boat this Sunday 8/1/10 Tony and myself will do 2 dive with Bill and do a nother dive at the ramp . maybe see ya there?

i am in Pensacola fl and was thinking about making a road trip but not to sure about it now thanks for the info guys

That is one trip I would forego if you are just looking to dive Lanier. Lake jocassee would be much better if you are looking for a lake dive(better vis and more stuff to see). Are you going for the camping/diving aspect or something else?

joe8mofo her you going to come up to Jocasse and dive off Bill's boat this Sunday 8/1/10 Tony and myself will do 2 dive with Bill and do a nother dive at the ramp . maybe see ya there?

I would absolutely love to go but this weekend I am out of town to visit a couple of friends. I am up for it on another weekend, say the one after this one.

I did a dive last week at cocktail cove,the vis was good to 30 ft then down to braille diving below 30ft,I was too shallow to get below the thermocline where the water should have cleared up. My computer read 85 degrees temps,I was getting very warm in a 3 mill with a 5 mill hood. Treasures found include a 70s model boom box,a cell phone,1 drink glass,a golf ball and 2 pairs of sunglasses. I did build a totem pole on a small stump,put a pair of sunglasses on it with drinking glass within reaching distance,complete with a cell phone stuck in the drink glass,he was also surrounded by several hundred beer cans,but I think he had help drinking all the beer. Going back out fri morning for a few dives.

Back
Top Bottom