Last Years recap and new years dive resolution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The big purchase of the year was an OSTC computer, which is great. There were issues with dead pixels but the company replaced the unit straight away so I am happy with it. Very happy actually. Made a new personal depth record of 94 metres on the Benghazi in Sardinia. Also dived the Loredan there which is a really beautiful wreck. I am now in Sicily which is not an easy location for a rebreather diver but I am slowly getting sorted. It's been slow because of problems with the O2 sensors from APDiving but in the end I seem to be getting them all replaced under warranty so I am pretty happy with that because it means there is a bit more money for the camera and housing I want, which will probably be an Olympus m43, I am hoping they will release a weatherproof PEN and ultra wide angle prime soon, in a Nauticam housing. I'm still trying to figure out what lights I would need to go with it. And I am slowly getting my head round gradient factors so by the time summer comes around again I should be all set for some serious wreck diving in the Straits of Messina. Maybe six gill shark hunting too if all goes well. I hope so because with all the problems this year I have only managed a measly 11 dives. As for fitness I am still smoking because I like it but I hope to stay fit over the winter with a bit of skiing on Mount Etna, eruptions permitting.

2012- Didnt start diving till late august, but managed to get addicted quite quickly. Ended up breaking the bank on a new BARE Tech Dry suit. Figured if ive got my own dry suit might as well get the rest of it...picked up a shearwater petrel, two mk 17/ g250v's, a bp/w, couple steel 100's that a doubled up and dove the other day (AMAZZING!). Extremely happy with all my gear, especially the regs. Also got a sola 500 dive light. Wanted to hit 100 dives by new years but an injury cancelled those plans. As for training, did my nitrox and was about to do rescue diver. hopefully get some wreck penetration training and a tech course in 2013 while in school and then DM course in the spring! woo!

went diving in iceland-wicked!!!!
visited son in arctic circle, sweden
drove 450 kms past circle to narvik,norway-then blasted to finland to the most northern mc donalds in the world
ate reindeer for the 1st time!!
taught a ton of classes and met some great new divers
met some scubaboarders-how cool is that! i now have new friends!
i bought gloves,hoods,seals,seals, gloves...
2013????
antarctica....
if i don't damage any more nerves falling down stairs!!!!!lol
merry christmas
yaeg

Completed my PADI Divemaster Certification. I know PADI is frowned upon by many on the board, but it was something I wanted to accomplish for myself. As an insulin dependent diabetic, I consider it to be a noteworthy achievement. In the process of doing the DM course/internship I became a better diver and got a good taste of what it's like working with students. I also got in better physical shape and got more cold water (quarry) experience. As for other things this year, I got to dive with a whole family of wild dolphins in St. Croix. That was an incredible experience. And I began to delve into the world of strobe-based photography (vs. just natural light and photoshop manipulation. I hope 2013 brings as many or more diving adventures.

a) Gear purchases
Just began diving with my wife and were certified in march, so I bought it all from mask to tanks this year, even a sea life dc1400 , just missing a go pro and a spear gun!

b) Training,
Ssi ow, AOW-deep, night, navigation, nitrox. Sat in on wreck and equipment classes.(did not pay for certification, just small fee)

Next year we are planning on completing our stress and rescue class.

c) Any new dive destinations (or even older ones revisted)
Lots of dives in key-largo, 20 dives in a week on Bonaire, and fell in love with Pompano drift diving

d) Number of dives--51

e) Dive Fitness - seriously need to work on this for next year!

Sent from my IPad using Tapatalk

What a fabulous year of diving this has been for me! 2012 was very good to me (diving-wise, anyway). Looking forward to new adventures in 2013!

a) Gear purchases - I finally broke down and bought a drysuit. People laugh at us in Florida, but it gets pretty darn cold during SI's in the winter, and doing multiple dives in wetsuits just doesn't cut it anymore!

b) Training - A friend of mine offered to pay for me to get my Instructor's Cert, but I enjoy diviing too much to spend as much time in the pool as I see other instructors doing, so I declined the offer and will remain a DM for the time being. Didn't take any other classes.

c) Any new dive destinations (or even older ones revisted) - Thanks to my friend, I got the chance to dive in St. Maarten, St. Kitts, and Saba on a liveaboard in September. We just got back last week from an eight day liveaboard adventure in Figi, which really spoiled me! Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous!!!!! Other than that, my usual backyard diving 3-5 days a week, weather and seas permitting.

d) Number of dives - I quit logging my dives after 2,000 last October, but I average about 10 dives a week. More when the weather and seas permit, and when I go on trips, less when the boats don't go out.

e) Dive Fitness - Off and on I have an exercise regimen, but I dive so often that's basically it on any regular basis.

For 2013 we're hoping to go to the Red Sea and several other places if things work out. Otherwise, I'm happy as a pig in mud just diving here in Jupiter!

2012 was a busy year

Training: I staffed a couple of IDCs which was alot of fun.
I finally completed my Basic Cave Diver certification.

I went independent as an instructor, and have stayed about as busy as I want, when I want, working for several local shops and from private referrals.

Benchmarks: I passed the 1000 dive mark the week of my 50th birthday.
In July 2012, I complete 48 dives (most in one month) and certified more students in July than in all of 2011 :D

Travel: lots and lots of travel this year including dive shows in Baltimore, Austin, Long Beach, Rebreather Forum, DEMA in Vegas
Dive Travel: Cozumel Invasion, the Sea of Cortex aboard the Rocio Del Mar for my NiftyFiftyth, and this month, Tiger Sharks in the Bahamas aboard the Blue Iguana

Next year, more cave diving, more cave diving training, more tech training, maybe even rebreather (Are you listening Santa?).
Staff more IDCs on the path to Master Instructor.
Travel, of course, in addition to a bunch of dive shows, the Bonaire Invasion and whatever adventure comes my way.

Here's to lots more fun in 2013!

2012--
dives: a record 74.
gear: 2 spare clips.
destinations: home (NS), NY, NJ, RI, MA, CT. Snowbirded in Miss. Other than a great private charter, don't go there.--Includes shore diving from L.Pontchartrain, LA through anything W. of Mobile Bay. Shallow, Mud.
Also DM interned courses and finally did some DMing.

2013:
Next week for 3 months back to good old Destin on the FL Panhandle--always hunting for new spots down there (and buddies who don't think 55-60F water is freezing without a drysuit). Ie.--I do a lot of solo shore dives.
Hope to DM some more in Aug.-Oct. (other times of year in NS makes it tough to be in the water 4 dives a day diving wet).

This year I met some good goals:
1) I was shooting for 25 dives and ended at 24 (Curse you Sandy!!)
2) I picked up some additional tanks mid season, helped me get 24 dives.
3) Just bought a new (to me) SP nighthawk BCD w/air2 and a SP MK 25/G250 reg set along with an Aeris DC. Going to get it serviced for next season.
4) started putting together for proper solo diving. The only thing still need is the pony bottle itself.
5) got hooked up with a couple of new dive buddies.

Goals for next year:

Build my finances so I can start to travel for diving.
Get into better shape. (big surprise for a resolution)
Buy a pony bottle.
make 75 dives next season (more tanks are going to make it doable...)
hit some shallow wrecks and rebuild my skills.
Spend more time practicing dive skills.

Dives: 87 as of tomorrow, every one of them cold water around the island with two very boring altitude lake dives.

Gear: Everything except tanks in April, when I had 5 dives, then tanks and a new Green Force light head in the summer. Only two of my open water dives have been in jacket BCDs, and since my 6th dive I've used a 7' hose with bungeed backup (which I learned about here and love).

Training: PADI OW early March (after a number of delays in the open water portion due to weather). Shortly after that got my advanced, then nitrox. Got rescue in the fall, and now I'm a DMT. I've also read a lot here, on the net, and in books about trim, buoyancy, finning techniques, and deco theory (I learned a ton from Deco for Divers).

New dive destinations: Everything's new, but the highlights are Port Hardy in August which was spectacular, and saw a couple wrecks in Nanaimo which made me want to learn wreck penetration and deco.

2013: More diving! Maybe take a break from university and DM somewhere warm, which is very tempting. If I can scrounge up the money, start tech training.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom