LeisurePro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was looking for a piece of dive luggage recently, saw that LP had it in stock, and showing MSRP. I called in and simply asked what the best price they could do on the item was and they came down nicely from the advertised price - no argument or price-match necessary.

With ScubaToys, all you have to do is say that you're a member of the forum - either SB or their own, and they note it in your account. If you're ordering online, just mention it in the notes section of the checkout process.

I was shopping for a new BCD. I had my eye on a Zeagle Express Tech Delux with the rip cord system. The best price I could find was 393.00, and I sent a "price match" to LP. They beat that by $100.00. I couple of emails later, and I ordered it from LP. Excellent deal. :mooner:

Before I even knew about scuba I was ordering from Adorama and B&H. That was in the 70's when there were scads of camera shops around.Especially in Columbus Ohio where I was going to school. Back then they were sometimes a little brusque when talking to but I just attributed that to them being New Yorkers. If you knew what you wanted they were great, and if you didn't know they were better! You never had to worry about wordy answers that sounded like BS. Short, to the point, and they knew their stuff.

I've ordered from LP since I began scuba. Never had an issue. Prices were good and shipping fast. I try to be like them in some aspects. As for the grey market issue- that's BS. Grey market to me would be getting seconds, blemished stuff, or copies. They sell the genuine article and the ONLY difference is they tell some of the stuck in the dark ages mfg's to shove it. If those mfg's would allow their regular dealers to sell for what they ( the dealer) determined they need to get - don't have to advertise it- they'd do a lot more business and their dealers would be much happier. When a shop can't give a long term customer a better price than Joe Schmoe who walks in for the first time without risking their dealership it does no one any good.

I've bought 4 vehicles off of my one favorite dealer, my mother in law went in and bought a new Caddy 3 years ago on my recommendation and paid cash. You think they are going to charge me sticker price on my next truck or car? If they do it'll be the last one I buy from them if I even do buy it.

Last edited:
Go to a local dive shop with the list of what you want along with the prices you got from LP. Maybe they can come close to what you will spend online. The benefit to the local dive shop (besides helping to keep them in business) is they will be able to service the gear they sell, some manufacturers void the warranty if purchased online, and you can meet some new dive buddies.

On a side note, see what happens when you bring in a broken regulator to a dive shop and say, "My regulator that I bought on Leisure Pro isn't working, can you fix it?"

Go to a local dive shop with the list of what you want along with the prices you got from LP. Maybe they can come close to what you will spend online. The benefit to the local dive shop (besides helping to keep them in business) is they will be able to service the gear they sell, some manufacturers void the warranty if purchased online, and you can meet some new dive buddies.

On a side note, see what happens when you bring in a broken regulator to a dive shop and say, "My regulator that I bought on Leisure Pro isn't working, can you fix it?"

Great advice. Online retailers in my understanding cannot sell below MAP. My LDS will sell at or below MAP. They let me try everything in pool too. Regular customers and employees at the shop have become the people I dive with. I'm glad to keep them in business.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

I ordered a Zeagle Zeus from Leisurepro after searching in vain for a good price. I saw it MAP priced on here and Leisurepro has an icon on the right side to tell them a price you would like to see it go for. I put in a price that was far less then I could find anywhere else not expecting to hear back from them. To my surprise they returned the call and said they would come within 20 dollars of what I asked for.

I got it for FAR less then any one else was willing to go for.

Like I always suggest (having been "raised" in an LDS), if you have a GOOD LDS, use them. In my travels, I see far more that I wouldn't drop a dime in regardless of my employment. The LDS I started out beats LP fairly regularly, so I know it can be done.

Regarding warranty, this claim is almost completely outdated, yet regularly perpetuated. There are a couple of manufacturers left that don't allow for online sales, but most either do or we're authorized dealers for regardless. For anything that doesn't carry the manufacturers warranty, we offer our own. I've seen many instances where dealing with our warranty was much faster than taking it to an LDS who ships it to the manufacturer, etc.

A good dive shop will happily service any gear because they know telling someone to go away because of where they bought their gear will ensure that customer never returns :) At my old LDS, we may have grumbled about it, but by being helpful we regularly converted online buyers to local buyers.

Great advice. Online retailers in my understanding cannot sell below MAP. My LDS will sell at or below MAP. They let me try everything in pool too. Regular customers and employees at the shop have become the people I dive with. I'm glad to keep them in business.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

MAP = Minimum ADVERTISED Price, which is not minimum selling price. That's why there are countless stories from other Scuba Board members who have called in about an item and been offered a less expensive price than what is seen online. It sounds like you have a great LDS and personally knowing they're few and far between, I wish you and them well!

My guy charges me parts and labor.

He's not an idiot. He makes the point of support the local guy, but he isn't a butthole about it. I gave my husband gift certificates to buy his gear local. He bought mine online. I get to pay for parts. :idk:

Back
Top Bottom