Lembeh, pls help! where will I be happiest?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wingy considering it's not really the best time to go in the next couple of weeks, would you recommend Bangka over Lembeh or vice versa? Or is it an either or?

Resort tells me can get a day trip to Bangka but not Bunaken.

Bangka right now is not really the best time as it is still windy and rainy which greatly affects the diving.
Lembeh on the other hand is far more protected, both from wind and rain due to the orientation of the straight. And as you are doing 95% macro, reduced viz does not make too much of a difference.
So I'd say Lembeh all the way. And if you really want to get some WA in then go dive the north end of Lembeh which has a nice pinnacle (sure not nearly as nice as Sahung, but not too bad).

We were at NAD late December 2014.
I would strongly recommend them.
The service was fantastic. They looked after us very well and nothing was too much trouble.
Rooms are great. Food was very good for Indonesia, note: I compare against Malaysia where food is FANTASTIC.
Photography room was very well equipped.

I have not stayed at the others so cannot compare.

I can't deal with a week of Indonesian food. But I'm no foodie so just need to to satisfy the needs of a body diving. Sure, prefer it when it's tasty too and good variety. Always want eggs for breakfast.

Wow I just checked my photos to see what month I was last in Bangka..suprisingly January. Yes there was quite a chop running and there was a severe down current on one site notorious for down currents which I always forget the name of..something Batu Perdita or similar?? - other than that I must have got lucky because the entire week was rain free but on the hot side which I didn't have that much of an issue with being used to hot Aussie conditions. Im not a photographer so perhaps perfect viz isnt a deal breaker for me although i do recall the viz being great.

Given the uncertain future of Bangka i would still say if you get a clear day where your op is prepared to take you over for a day trip Bangka V Bunaken would win every time for me now.

I can't deal with a week of Indonesian food. But I'm no foodie so just need to to satisfy the needs of a body diving. Sure, prefer it when it's tasty too and good variety. Always want eggs for breakfast.

Black Sands will not disappoint. They have a menu of a few different items you can choose from, a few Indo, a few western and the menu changes every day. The food really was brilliant. And eggs to your order in the morning.

---------- Post added January 30th, 2015 at 09:10 AM ----------

Wow I just checked my photos to see what month I was last in Bangka..suprisingly January. Yes there was quite a chop running and there was a severe down current on one site notorious for down currents which I always forget the name of..something Batu Perdita or similar?? - other than that I must have got lucky because the entire week was rain free but on the hot side which I didn't have that much of an issue with being used to hot Aussie conditions. Im not a photographer so perhaps perfect viz isnt a deal breaker for me although i do recall the viz being great.

Given the uncertain future of Bangka i would still say if you get a clear day where your op is prepared to take you over for a day trip Bangka V Bunaken would win every time for me now.

I suppose you never quite can predict the weather! Some times you are lucky in the wet season or unlucky in the dry!

I doubt anyone does day trips from Lembeh to Bunaken. And although most places say they offer a day trip to Bangka, the reality is that you would need a certain number of people to fill the boat before they give the ok. SO it seldom happens. In my three trips to Lembeh never once have I been asked if I'd like to join a day trip to Bangka or ever been offered the option.

Although I will agree that Bangka is an amazing place to visit (I've been 3 times). And visit sooner than later. But to do a day trip wont do it justice. You should at least go for a few days.

Thanks to all and your help, as it turns out will be invaluable, um, ahem, next time I'm back in SE Asia but something completely unexpected has occurred.

Due to an unexpected set of circumstances, I'm going back to the Maldives instead. Don't know what to say about that other than I must be crazy but then perhaps you suspected as much and I'm the late adopter. :)

One year later, up late and packing for flight to Manado in the a.m.

Will be staying a week at Black Sands and then a week at Murex Bangka. Wish me luck on weather and sea conditions.

I have a very silly question. Do these two resorts provide shampoo and soap?

Thanks, now what did i do with my other sun guard shirt?

From memory Murex do and I would assume Black Sands would - your sun guard shirt is hanging on the bathroom door. Have fun :)

If only you were right about my sun guard. :) unfortunately it is not hanging in the bathroom or behind the door, or in the laundry. I'll have to do without. Thanks for the reassurance on the soap/shampoo. Heehee

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom