Liquivision X1 review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the real question here is; why is yours that colour, mines grey.

For everyone who wants a OLE Display it is maybe worth checking out the Open Source Dive Computer (OSTC) which has exactly the same display, but 2 buttons instead of the tab technology.

Just to clear things up, the OSTC is an air-filled computer, which means the OLED suffers from total internal reflection when read at an angle. So, you like with certain other LCD computers, you still need to point it towards your face to read it, otherwise you just see a mirror surface. The X1 can be read at any angle.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

The X1 can't be beat for many reasons but allow me to point something out

I've talked to the people that build the computer on the boards.

I've talked to the guy that writes the software (v-planner live in my case) via boards and via email, when was the last time anyone talked to anyone at say VR3 that knew anything about the computer besides just being a rep?

I can choose my software, and algorithm.

I can actually download my dives without paying a fortune for some PIN - all features come unlocked out of the box and Ross has frequenly released software updates that I can do from home - priceless

I can sync my tissue data with V-Planner (which is the bomb by the way) so even if some how my X1 did take a dump I just cut tables, tables that will reflect my current tissue loading (cats meow right there).

Smiley deco is the shiz

I use it for OC trimix and nitrox, and I gotta tell you this computer feels like it was made for cave diving, I set it to low brightness and its GREAT, in the ocean I've used Medium and it was equally as awsome.

yes, yes I am a fan, yes it is expensive, but yes, its the best there is.

Windows world is the only world there is, all else is dirt under my feet, except linux.

Just set you up a simple PC laptop for v-planner, do you really want to be hauling your high dollar *choke* mac out to dive sites?

I have a second laptop dedicated to V-Planner, it doesn't take much to run it and old laptop with winderz will do.

( take it easy, I do have an iphone and love it)

If you live it the Windows world I'm sure its the shiznit.
I have a MacBook Pro, and use the X1 just fine. Fusion baby. Although FIXXERVI6 has a good idea bout the POS laptop, so I don't have to worry about theft, or damage.

There's enough rednecks up north stealing O2 bottles, I don't need my laptop to vanish either.

Well, looking at the Open Source computer, it's $1000, comes from Europe, and even the manufacturer warns it's not readily available. The algorithm is Buhlmann, unless you can write your own code. And it doesn't have the tap interface (which I like, because nothing penetrates the case of the computer).

If I'm going to spend an obscene amount of money on a computer, I think I'll stick with the X1!

:hijack:

Sorry, I've lived in the windows world at work and home for 18 years and DOS for 6 years before that, plus several long excursions into Unix (mostly Solaris). A year ago, after the second time I had to reinstall winders on my son's PC to get rid of spyware on his computer (where he didn't have an admin account) and got WGA'ed for my trouble for upgrading hardware, well that toasted it for me. I have a copy of Parallels and a legit copy of XP SP2 but I'll be durned if I'm going to throw more money that direction.

You can do what you want (really, I'm not on a crusade to convert anyone else) but personally I've had it.

Off screen announcer: "We now return your to your regularly scheduled flamethrowing..."

BTW, my blackbook didn't cost all that much and I take it everywhere.

Just to clear things up, the OSTC is an air-filled computer, which means the OLED suffers from total internal reflection when read at an angle. So, you like with certain other LCD computers, you still need to point it towards your face to read it, otherwise you just see a mirror surface.

Yes, that's true. The air-filling is also responsible that it doesn't have the depth rating the X1 has. The advantage is that you can open it to expand the hardware (e.g. air integration which is planned) or change the battery more easiely.

Well, looking at the Open Source computer, it's $1000, comes from Europe, and even the manufacturer warns it's not readily available.

Yes, that's because of the exchange rate. In Europe the OSTC costs half of the X1. The OSTC is currently sold out, but will be available again in a short while, as far as I know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom