Liquivision X1 review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't tried the compass, but last night, I got to play with the gas switching interface. I mistakenly got in the water with the thing set for air instead of 32%, and I didn't realize it until I was down at 90 feet and looking at no no-deco time left, 17 minutes into a shore dive. Since I'm comfortable operating in gauge mode, I shrugged and figured I'd just bend the thing (since I wasn't going to deco out for an air dive), but then I thought, "Hey, this is a decompression computer, how about I just switch gases?" (That, of course, won't change the time it thinks I've already spent on air, but it WILL change how much deco I'm going to go on to run up.) Turned out to be ridiculously easy to do that. And then, just for kicks and giggles, I did the deco it told me to do, so I could see what the display shows. It was very easy to read, and the smiley face is amusing (that's what it shows you when you are doing your stops at the correct depth).

I have been told that, had I made the error in the opposite direction, I would not have been able to reset the computer to air, but I can't confirm that (you can't go DOWN on O2 content during a dive).

At any rate, the longer I own and use this unit, the better I like it. I really can't find anything to complain about at all. As I said to HBDiveGirl last night, I've bought five computers so far, and I've decided that, rather than do that, I should just have bought a Liquivision in the first place. It would have cost less than four other computers, and I would have been happy with it from the get-go, and would never have needed to change.

Hello Lynn, I currently use the d9. I am happy with it no complaints, mostly because I have very good vision. A month or so ago, I read your post concerning this unit. I have been reading about it sense. Trying my best to be an informed consumer, I am interested in the product but how do you find the company. Are they responsive, helpful? I think this was answered but I’ll ask again because I’m too lazy to scroll the previous post. Does it have a lifetime warranty? If not, what kind? I was at the DEMA show last week. I heard it was there but I was so busy with conferences and Vegas, I missed it. That hurt.
Thanks
Bat

Hello Lynn, I currently use the d9. I am happy with it no complaints, mostly because I have very good vision. A month or so ago, I read your post concerning this unit. I have been reading about it sense. Trying my best to be an informed consumer, I am interested in the product but how do you find the company. Are they responsive, helpful? I think this was answered but IÃÍl ask again because IÃÎ too lazy to scroll the previous post. Does it have a lifetime warranty? If not, what kind? I was at the DEMA show last week. I heard it was there but I was so busy with conferences and Vegas, I missed it. That hurt.
Thanks
Bat

Liquivision seem to be very responsive to their customers needs. In Oz the distributor is very responsive & easy to deal with. When you buy a unit you also get access to their X1 users web page. They monitor this sit & respond to posts quite quickly. The V-planer & Gap software makers are also on the sit & are just as responsive.

http://www.liquivision.ca/Liquivision X1 Hardware User Manual v5.1.pdf

http://www.liquivision.ca/Liquivision X1 User Agreement and Warranty.pdf

I don't know what the warranty is, but the battery is guaranteed for three years, during which time they will replace it at their cost. Estimated lifespan is ten years, and it is replaceable.

Reading the Deco Stop threads about the unit, there have been a few malfunctions (mostly display issues), and the company has responded instantly and replaced the faulty unit.

I learned a lot about the computer at DEMA. I asked Eric Fattah, designer of the computer, why it is SO expensive -- was it the OLED display? And he said no. The reason the unit is so expensive is that there is SO much STUFF packed into it. There is the magnetic sensor for the compass, the accelerometer for the tap interface, and a TON of processing power and memory. Packing all of that into the small box is a delicate operation, done by hand, and there are a lot of rejects. Unit testing before shipping kicks out some more. So it's a combination of the hand labor and the quality control that results in an expensive unit.

Before I purchase any product I like to get an independent assessment of that product, this conversation is very helpful. Saying that, what is a V planer? What does it do? The way these conversations flow I feel like I should already know this. But I don’t. When I speak to a dealer I’d like to carry on an intelligent conversation about the product.
Thanks for your help.
Bat

It's more computer than I need now, but I really like mine. Looking at some pictures from the cenotes on my recent Mexico trip, it's striking how visible the display is.

I saw one at a dive shop, the diver came in excited to show the owner his new toy. I took a look at it and was literally amazed at the display, it looked so bright. The amber color really catches your eyes.

He also showed us how you just simply tap on the sides of the unit with your fingers and it toggles between the menus, no buttons.

He also had it attached to the wrist bungie that www.diveriteexpress.com sells. Very tiny computer with a loud display in LED...

Only thing it didn't have is air integration otherwise I would've picked one up, but thats just me a beginner. The majority of the divers on this thread don't use air integration.

MG

Back
Top Bottom