Liquivision Xen - really nice, but .....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ahhhhh.... I never thought of that... distract her so I don't need to explain it at all LOL. Only a woman could think of something so devious. :D

R..

Reactions: Tug
Well that explains why they're so awesome then :D

Just hating the price, even if there is a reason for it. :) I've never bought a bit of gear that I thought I needed to explain to my wife before but if I put this under the tree for myself we could be breaking new and perilous ground :)

she'll be like, "for that price, why didn't you take me to Rome for a few days". and I'll be like, "uuuhhhhh". Not the way I want to start off on Christmas day :)

R..

cough...cough.....honey, don't you want to be safe, it's life support equipment......cough...cough

Rob, I just saw the Xen advertised in an English online store for 349 while the Scubapro BT was 117. Now I admit those numbers were preceded by some funny letter but dollars, pounds, Euros -- what's the difference, eh? Now just how much does a new mask with prescription lenses cost? With the Xen you might be able to actually SEE the numbers without the VERY expensive lenses.

And, as stated above, it IS a LIFE SAVING DEVICE! What does your wife think your life is worth?

A fresh blue disposable battery ER-17335M lasted 27 consecutive dive days and 51 dives (20 of those dives being technical/deco with long total times), in standard display mode with stopwatch function enabled, over nearly a month last Oct in Chuuk Lagoon & Palau.

Presently in Vanuatu, and have been using it continuously again since 17Nov bashing & scraping it up along with the Zag shielding, on the wrecks of both Chuuk Lagoon and here in Santo Vanuatu on the SS President Coolidge --no problems so far at all (cosmetically, it's got rust stains from all the metal I've been crawling through). I brought another fresh battery and expect to change the old one out by the time I return to Chuuk next week for the remainder of the year.

The best Bottom Timer and/or Computer display combination IMHO for technical wreck diving: --one unit having OLED like the Zen bottom timer that can be easily read in an overhead dark environment such as a wreck, and a small backup watch size unit like the old Suunto D3 bottom timer that uses a LCD screen which can be easier to read than OLED in bright ambient tropical sunlight at shallow depths of 10m or less. . .

Last edited:
It really depends on how much insurance you have, right?

Reactions: Jax
Well that explains why they're so awesome then :D

Just hating the price, even if there is a reason for it. :) I've never bought a bit of gear that I thought I needed to explain to my wife before but if I put this under the tree for myself we could be breaking new and perilous ground :)

she'll be like, "for that price, why didn't you take me to Rome for a few days". and I'll be like, "uuuhhhhh". Not the way I want to start off on Christmas day :)

R..

you could also remind her that all divers that don't use a Xen will die!

I've had a Zen Bottom Timer since it first came out. My concern was with the quality of the case. I am in the water all the time and do a lot of North East Wreck/Tec Diving and the case has held up fine with no issues. The only issue I had was with Battery Life. I switched over to the rechargeable batteries and have had NO issues. I know that they are more money, but I lend mine out for people to try and feel like I am diving in the dark when I use the Uwatec Bottom Timer. Guess I am just spoiled with how easy the Zen is to see & use.

+1 on everything Wayne said.

Mine is one the first batch too, and I was also somewhat arched eyebrows over the plastic. <shrugs> It's been a non issue, and mine is on my scooter and gets smacked and abused way more than it would on my wrist.

MAScamera1.jpg

I also have tried out the new "Large" display option, and I can tell you, it's going to get the Xen banned from tech classes - you can easily read the numbers when maskless.

All the best, James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom