List of essential gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Knavey once bubbled...
Aside from the obvious fins, mask, BC, regulator, octo, gauges and tank, what else do YOU believe is essential for a NON tech OW diver?

Right now my setup also contains

1 dive knife (havent found the best place yet, still trying out different spots)

1 safety sausage (4 foot) should I get a bigger one?

1 slate with pencil

1 small dive light (have bigger ones for night time)

1 pair of gloves

1 150' reel (for the dive flag float)

1 small mesh bag (can't fit a bug in it though)

What other things should I put on?

Thinking about a Dive Alert as well.

That's simple, BEER, Snack Food, Ice for BEER, and more BEER! . Come on up to Canada for a few dives, we have some of the best "deco fluids" around.:D

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...
The only instance I can see a mirror being worthwhile is when you don't have a light and are stranded out away from the boat.
The mirrors work best on a bright day when lights are almost useless. Even on a hazy day mirrors will work pretty good. There is a reason they are SOLAS/Coast Guard required gear for lifeboats.

a lift bag/sausage, reel, and knife. During lobster season I always carry a bag for my catch and a small light. Other than that I am a minimalist and carry what I need depending on conditions and dive plan and nothing else.

I'm sure I'm stealing this from someone here, but use a cd that didn't burn correctly. Cheap and easy!!

Rachel

You may want to try some anti gear draggin devices like octo keepers and such. Keeps you from breaking gear, getting entangled, and oh yeah, protecting the coral and other stuff.

Also, I like to have my Spare Air with me. Used it off the coast of Hawaii when a rental tanks O-Ring Blew up, Lost all air at 100+ feet. Lame situation.

Knavey once bubbled...

Ok,

Got the compass, but do you take the backup mask with you on the dive?

Yes. In my left bellows pocket.

I thought of another item. I keep a well-equipped first aid kit in my car.

I don't know if this is considered essential, but I always keep a small mesh bag clipped to my waist to pick up any trash I see. It doesn't seem like much, but over the years my buddy and I have probably removed the equivalent of several Hefty bags worth of crap from the areas we frequent.

I also like the suggestion of you adding a Spare Air or other redundant air supply (I prefer a pony to Spare Air). I've never had to use it yet, but I like the idea of self rescue as opposed to chasing after someones octo.

ScottyK once bubbled...

I also like the suggestion of you adding a Spare Air or other redundant air supply

Read some of the threads about Spare Air. My feeling is that they only provide a false sense of security. On top of that, they are expensive.

(I prefer a pony to Spare Air).

I don't use either of these but if I wanted redundant air I would probably go with a small stage bottle. It has all the advantages a pony does over a Spare Air, plus I think it is a cleaner setup. You have better access to the bottle and you can pass if off if need be.

I've never had to use it yet, but I like the idea of self rescue as opposed to chasing after someones octo.

In general, I feel that a pony or a spare air is just a band-aid for poor buddy skills. It's cheaper to fix buddy problems then it is to add more gear.

Cornfed

Hey Cornfed- I can see merit in all your statements with the exception of the last. My buddy and I have never gotten separated in seven years of diving together. A redundant air supply is an intelligent safety precaution that has nothing to do with buddy skills. If you have a problem 100 feet down and 50 feet from the ascent line would you rather be able to swim to the dive line (with your buddy right there if you need him) and ascend normally, or do it while trying to share air/buddy breathe ???

As for handing it off, nobody but my buddy gets my pony while I'm underwater and she has her own redundant supply :wink: But seriously, how you equip it is a matter of personal preference, I guess. However you carry it, I still think it's a good idea to have one.

ScottyK once bubbled...
Hey Cornfed- I can see merit in all your statements with the exception of the last. My buddy and I have never gotten separated in seven years of diving together. A redundant air supply is an intelligent safety precaution that has nothing to do with buddy skills.

I know a guy that proudly proclaimed, "yep just got my new pony bottle so I don't have to worry about keeping close tabs on my buddy anymore." I **** you not!

More often then not I find that pony bottles fit into the "same ocean, same day" buddy system.

I agree with you on the safety factor of redundant air and I'm not saying you're like the guy I mentioned. However, I feel that the redundancy is often misused.

If you're 100 feet down and 50 yards from the ascent line would you rather be able to swim to the dive line (with your buddy right there if you need him) and ascend normally, or to do it while trying to buddy breathe ???

I just got a 7ft primary not to long ago. After playing around with some OOA scenarios at the quarry I don't think a 50 yd swim would be that bad. :D

As for handing it off, nobody but my buddy gets my pony while I'm underwater and she has her own redundant supply :wink:

Despite what I just said, I think it would be easier to hand off the stage and then make that 50yd swim.

If your buddy has a pony too then great, they probably won't need yours. I was thinking more about a buddy pair that had one pony between the two of them.

Cornfed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom