Live in S. Fl? Why don't you move? The pros and cons...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a transplant myself.. My wife and I moved here four years ago from California.. We are both multi-generational Californians, but wanted something different... We couldn't have picked a better place. We live in Port St Lucie and have the best of South Florida in our opinion. We live in a very safe town, I can be at the dive boat at Jupiter and hit some of the best dive spots in Florida in less than 30 minutes and I can get to the big city of West Palm or Miami in 30 or 90 minutes..

When it comes to affordabiltiy; not much different from anywhere we have lived.. the local prices are based on the local economy and are for the most part very affordable..

The only things that we don't love about Florida are minor.. Law Enforcement is not nearly as proffessional in how they deal with the public as they are in Cali... Fruits and veggies are not very fresh or affordable.. and good Mexican food is hard to come by..

With all that said.. we wouldn't go back.. Good luck with your decision..

no one has mentioned schools in south Florida....

and I mean the public schools. How good are they? what about problems in the schools?

or does everybody just send their kids to private schools down there? (yeah I know this is kinda a "retirement move to florida" thread, but what about for folks who have kids to worry about their schools?

how are the schools in your area? (and if you don't have kids in school, which I know many in this thread don't, give us your best opinion).

Rick:

Good luck with your decision on where to move. Like you, I was raised in southern CA but as an adult I have lived in many different places on the east coast and Midwest: Philadelphia, Columbus O, Chicago, Detroit, to name a few. I moved here three years ago and have found very few downsides to south Florida: though I live in the north end of Palm Beach county where things are a bit more laid back and traffic is much more manageable than Dade county.

One of the complaints I hear from many transplants is the ‘lack of seasons’: having grown up in CA where seasons don’t change all that much, I can say that I don’t miss having no snow and no bitter cold. I did not grow up with leaves changing colors and so don’t really care that I don’t see that sort of thing here. In fact, I love the near constant green of the plant life in south Florida. I believe the desire to see greater seasonal changes is one of the reasons for the half back phenomenon discussed earlier in this thread.

Some folks also complain about the humidity in the summer. Yes, it can be bad, but compared to other places known for humid summers such as Washington DC, Atlanta, Knoxville, etc., I don’t think it is all that bad in southern Florida given the near constant tropical breezes close to the coasts. Once you move a few miles inland, the tropical breezes seem to dissipate a bit and the humidity feels worse. As already mentioned, one must also dress appropriately during the summer months (or any other time of year). I love the fact that I can change into shorts, a light t-shirt or polo shirt and flip flops after a long day of work and be completely comfortable.

As a former resident of southern CA and current resident of Washington State, you are probably accustomed to varied topography, with hills, mountains, valleys, etc. close by. For me, one of the bigger negatives to south Florida is the complete ‘flatness’ of the land mass. You really don’t see much topographical features south of Ocala. While I have lived in other places that were flat (Chicago area), there were still beautiful undulating river valleys close by. It might take some time to adjust to the lack of elevation changes.

Related to the topography, if you are a sports car driver or motorcyclist, you’ll find south Florida a bit lacking from a driving or riding perspective. There are very few curvy roads and plenty of really bad drivers that force you to remain defensive at all times. If you are a cyclist (pedal bike) like many other people who live in Washington State, you’ll need to constantly be looking over your shoulder while you ride because of the lousy drivers.

Oceans, well you are used to oceans given you were raised in southern California. But the nice thing about Florida oceans is that they are much warmer and can be dove year round with fairly light wetsuits or no wetsuits in the summer.

As a former resident of southern CA, you probably grew up at least semi-multi cultural. There is definitely a multi cultural vibe in most of south Florida, but nothing that you’d not already be accustomed to. Much of time, I find it more difficult to communicate nicely with the NY and NJ population compared to the Cuban or Haitian population. Though in reality, most people I meet in Florida, regardless of where they are from, are fairly cool.

I am not sure I have done a good job of ‘selling’ south Florida, but I can say that it is hard to imagine living anywhere else.

and I mean the public schools. How good are they? what about problems in the schools?

or does everybody just send their kids to private schools down there? (yeah I know this is kinda a "retirement move to florida" thread, but what about for folks who have kids to worry about their schools?

how are the schools in your area? (and if you don't have kids in school, which I know many in this thread don't, give us your best opinion).

Most of my co-workers have kids in public schools and are happy with the systems. These schools systems include Jupiter, Palm Beach Gardens, Wellington and Stuart. Most of these co-workers are transplants and feel that the named school districts are similar to Michigan, St. Louis, northern Ohio, etc.

the reason I asked is that I had a co-worker transfer down to Florida and moved back.....

he had several reasons to move back only after a year... but he said the schools were one of them. (other reasons were they couldn't sell their expensive/huge house here, he didn't like all the other people who had migrated to the area (foreigners and northerners), taxes, hot/humid weather, etc.)

We moved from Chicago 5.5 years ago and still are undecided how much we like it in the Ft. Lauderdale area. Our biggest complaint is simply this: Too many obnoxious a-holes.

Mind you, we lived in the city of Chicago so we are used to big-city people, and not everyone who moves here from the northeast is pushy, rude, insulting, and obnoxious - but man, a lot of them are (even on dive boats), and they seem to try their best to ruin the casual atmosphere for everyone else.

I am not sure I have done a good job of ‘selling’ south Florida, but I can say that it is hard to imagine living anywhere else.
You certainly have! :crafty:

As for schools.. I can only attest to Saint Lucie County.. public schools here are great... But we are also firm believers that the parents involvement is 80% of how your children will do in school and our kids are performing very high.. You get out of it, what you put into it..

2:45 min? Are you the driver in the left lane doing 55mph with the left blinker on? :D
First you have to account for the inevitable traffic jams. Second, it is after all 140-150 miles and some of that includes getting OUT of Jupiter and some of it going down the 18-mile stretch, and that huge slowdown when the RV-ers panic as they go over the new Jewfish Creek Bridge. Could I personally make it in less time? You bet your :mooner: I could, I drive like a maniac but realistically...taking into account the inevitable, if I had to catch a dive boat I'd give myself a minimum of 3 hours to get there.

I don't have kids. And if I did, I sure as hell wouldn't put them into the local school system. It's terrible. If I had to raise kids in SoFla, I'd move them to the Keys. Most of the children I know down there are really cool kids. Although, I know nothing of the Keys schools.

Good luck with your decision on where to move. Like you, I was raised in southern CA...One of the complaints I hear from many transplants is the ‘lack of seasons’.
Me too, raised in SoCal, also lived in SE Penna, New Jersey, and Utah and I feel that the concept of "seasons" is HIGHLY over-rated. I prefer four beautiful seasons to one or two nice seasons and suffering the rest of the year. I don't need the bad to appreciate the good.

And, I always joke that we DO have seasons!!! Hurricane season, tourist season, lobster season...:D

To the people who bitch about the awful people in SoFla all I can say is get involved in something. Yes, the drivers and the people in Publix totally suck, but I immediately joined a dive club when I moved here (still a member of it 30 years later) and got involved in all types of things and my friends are the GREATEST.

To people who I've heard bitch and moan about how they hate SoFla for whatever reason, I remind them that I-95 runs both ways. :wink:

Things are great here, except the drivers.

Had to read this twice... the DIVERS are the best part!:D

BTW, schools at least in west Broward are excellent, lots of charter schools too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom