LK's PATTAYA BASH THREAD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The pay cut would be too much :( Part time works best for me. It is odd that a job that requires so much responsibility pays relatively so little. Phuket would be seasonal so that makes things complicated as well. Based on cost of living I wonder if the pay is similar worldwide.

What other jobs match the responsibility of a divemaster or scuba instructor and how does the pay match up? I realize this can be a sensitive subject.

Last edited:
Phuket would be seasonal so that makes things complicated as well.
The Similans and local longtail dives are seasonal, but daytrip diving and courses are not. Even stronger, with the best divesites at racha Yai being available during the low season, the courses are quite often even nicer in the low season.

LK's been awfully quiet.

Close to Pattaya lies a decommissioned warship (The "HTMS Khram", formerly known as the USS LSM 469) sunk by the Thai navy in 2003 to create an artificial breeding ground for marine life.

Maybe it's at those two places (Koh Khram and HTMS Khram) where our Lord learned to dive....????
Been away diving in koh Chang, excellent service excellent diving all for 2300 baht per day. Why cant the Pattaya shops do the same?

Learned to dive in the UK years before I came to thailand, but yes i am very familliar with both locations you mention and have dived both numerous times.

His stratagy may be working as I'm getting more enquiries now people can see there are other places to dive other than Pattaya.

excellent. If they continue to get bad press and it loses them customers they might start looking after their customers a little better, and provide them with what they are charging for, then believe it or not I might even disappear from here altogether.

By the way wheres the thread gone about your dodgy DM????
You ordered the offending liveaboard back to shore already? Had him disciplined by PADI? Or even had him assasinated by the local mafia?
When I started out I never realised diving was going to be so exciting.

When I was in Thailand I was told that Pattaya was mainly a center for all things lascivious and libidinous, so I steered clear since I was interested in diving. Sounds like those who advised me may have been correct?

Yes in my mind they were 100% correct. Pattaya has great nightlife, that can be avoided by those who wish. Less than average diving conditions, and over priced dive shops offering very low level service to qualified divers.

Welcome back Lord Khram. It has been too quiet without you.

Been away diving in Koh Chang, excellent service excellent diving all for 2300 baht per day...

I'm glad to hear you went diving and had fun too!
:banana:
It would be wonderful if you could commit yourself to (try to) keep the "Pattaya Bashing" confined in this one thread. After all, this thread has been dedicated to you!

:deal:

Pattaya has less than average diving conditions, and over priced dive shops offering very low level service to qualified divers.

Jeez, where have I heard that before. Welcome back Lord Khram :cheers:

LK,

So can we agree, that those without the fortune of being able to travel every weekend to the Similans or other more exciting dive destinations are fortunate to have a dive destination within easy and affordable range from BKK? A place you can grab a few drinks with your dive buddies with a great choice of restaurants (Rasputin for example if you like Russian food), not to mention reasonable lodging.

With regard to "over priced dive shops offering very low level service to qualified divers." send me a PM and come out diving with me sometime. I know Bowmouth will be shocked at my offer.

The point is, if your serious about diving this this is the only practical place to dive regularly if BKK based. From an instructor's perspective it offers an ideal area to train divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom