Lobster/and or spear fishing charters California?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For bug diving, Truth Aquatics out of Santa Barbara to the Channel Islands......

Thanks for all the replies. Besides the peace boat are there any others you all recommend for lobstering or spearing regardless of the location?
You can look here:
It looks like it was revised in 2019 so not sure how up to date some of the links are but it’s a start.

ummmm, that’s who owned the conception and they sold both remaining boats 🤷‍♂️
Yes.... I believe they are now Channel Island Expeditions.....

Thank
You can look here:
It looks like it was revised in 2019 so not sure how up to date some of the links are but it’s a start.

Thanks for this. I reached out to a few of them, some have basically said yeah you can spear on any of the trips. With that being said I don’t know the area at all so if they aren’t specifically going out to lobster or spear, how do I know what areas are actually realistic/good for hunting? I don’t mean like a specific dive spot, I mean like if it’s a Channel Islands trip vs somewhere else, etc, are there ones I want to target or avoid?

Thank

Thanks for this. I reached out to a few of them, some have basically said yeah you can spear on any of the trips. With that being said I don’t know the area at all so if they aren’t specifically going out to lobster or spear, how do I know what areas are actually realistic/good for hunting? I don’t mean like a specific dive spot, I mean like if it’s a Channel Islands trip vs somewhere else, etc, are there ones I want to target or avoid?
If you want the absolute best lobster trip on a charter boat then look into going out on the Peace with the Sea Divers when they run their “Bugzilla” trip. The other one they do is “Dr. death” which is later in the season. Both of those trips are about as hard core California lobster diving as it gets. Most of those guys dive with no BC’s and some will even run a 15’ hookah long hose wrapped up and they will take off their tank, set it by the entrance of a cave and free swim into holes and caves to grab bugs on hookah. Not saying it’s safe or something I have ever done, just saying it does happen, that’s how nuts they are.
Some of those bugs get over 10lbs, but there is a consensus to let the big bugs go because they are the big breeders. But anything 6 or 7 lbs and below goes into to the bag. There is a caliper you need to have to measure the carpace and you can only grab them by hand. Even having a spear gun or Hawaiian sling with you for fish can get you in trouble. A good pair of kevlar gloves is needed too. A lot of the old hard cores just use a pair of leather work gloves, even in 58 degree water.

If you want the absolute best lobster trip on a charter boat then look into going out on the Peace with the Sea Divers when they run their “Bugzilla” trip. The other one they do is “Dr. death” which is later in the season. Both of those trips are about as hard core California lobster diving as it gets. Most of those guys dive with no BC’s and some will even run a 15’ hookah long hose wrapped up and they will take off their tank, set it by the entrance of a cave and free swim into holes and caves to grab bugs on hookah. Not saying it’s safe or something I have ever done, just saying it does happen, that’s how nuts they are.
Some of those bugs get over 10lbs, but there is a consensus to let the big bugs go because they are the big breeders. But anything 6 or 7 lbs and below goes into to the bag. There is a caliper you need to have to measure the carpace and you can only grab them by hand. Even having a spear gun or Hawaiian sling with you for fish can get you in trouble. A good pair of kevlar gloves is needed too. A lot of the old hard cores just use a pair of leather work gloves, even in 58 degree water.
The “Dr. Death” trip, what exactly is that?

.. hard core California lobster diving.....Some of those bugs get over 10lbs,
We were scouting Channel Islands bug spots just before the season opener {years ago}. As I mentioned above to @thomasj1107 , even an excellent Florida harvester is way behind the learning curve when you dive in Cali-waters. It's exciting and just wild. When you dive with knowledgeable fellow California harvesters, these pictures are what they will drop you on !!

IMG_2468.JPG

IMG_2475.JPG

We were scouting Channel Islands bug spots just before the season opener {years ago}. As I mentioned above to @thomasj1107 , even an excellent Florida harvester is way behind the learning curve when you dive in Cali-waters. It's exciting and just wild. When you dive with knowledgeable fellow California harvesters, these pictures are what they will drop you on !!

View attachment 736947

View attachment 736948

Pretty epic, looks like the kind of LOADED spot I get excited about in the keys, just different terrain for sure. Any of you guys still lobster dive and want to let a Florida guy join? It will probably be the one and only time I ever get to dive California lobster, so it would be cool to even just see some and learn something from a local diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom