Lobster bag suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

X2 on option one. You can cut down the drag a great deal by running a 1" key ring through the zipper and then attach your favorite style clip. You can then fold up the bag and clip it off while swimming around. Or, you can just tuck the end of the bag down the hole and get the same results.

Another tip is to clip it high on your chest d-ring to keep the bag from dragging the reef.

I am a huge fan of the punch-bag. I don't see many of them around, but they are fantastic. There is nothing to open. The top of the bag has a two pieces of fabric that overlap by about 4-6 inches. You simply punch the bug down through the overlap (tail first) and it goes in the bag. The handle is a heavy duty stainless steel rod bent in a half circle. It holds tension on the top 1/3 of the bag. This keeps the overlapping fabric from coming apart and creating an opening for escape. It is really a no handed bag. Once it is clipped to you via whatever clip you prefer, you just have to punch the bug in. Nothing to open, nothing to close.

Then after the dive, to get dinner out, just unzip the zipper at the bottom and they all dump right out. Just don't forget to re-zip it before your next dive. I seem to forget that step once each season.

I've used the same bag for about 15 years now. 7 of those years were hard (ab)use on the bag and it still holds up great!

Deep Six - Punch-In Lobster Bag by ADRAD

I'm sure there are other places to get one. This was just a quick search to find a picture of it.

Jamie.

We usually call 'em Lobzilla down here if they tip the scale sufficiently. This was the last one I got that might merit that title.

Lobzillaandfriend3.jpg

Thanks for all the suggestions.

:acclaim:

i like this kind of net.. it's big so if you're not very good it's big enough that you can't miss 'em!

Attachments

• 476981725.jpg
    476981725.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 78
Option #1 - Lobster Hotel

This looked like a very clever idea to me, but some of the online reviews say that the hole is too small if you bag a big bug (which I can imagine would be, ahem, frustrating).

Lobsterhotel.jpg

so if you're going to get "option 1", might want to consider one that has full nylon sides part of the way down.

because when you put a "lobster in the chute", he's just going to grab the sides of the mesh in the above bag.

This one has mesh on the sides.... made by Innovative Scuba

IS-BG-0806-2.jpg

FYI: One of the big mistakes I've seen people make with the above bags is that they forget to zip the zipper on the bottom of the bag on the next dives.... so they put a Lobster in, only to have it escape out the bottom of the bag.... talk about suck-o-la....

just something to remember.

Will make a point to double check. That would suck

Option #2 - One handed squeeze bag

This one also looked very clever - no mesh for the lobster to snag up in, plus if you can operate it with one hand, it must be easier to bag up. Two things worry me - firstly, does the spring mechanism go after a while? And second, if the lobster doesn't snag in mesh, presumably there is a chance that your first lobster might slip out when you are bagging your second lobster? Or worse, a lobster might be able to push its way out?

Have been using that exact bag for four years now, still in "like new" condition, with the spring machanism being very robust and working as advertised on hundreds of dives. I wish they made a slightly smaller version though. It's very long and does drag a bit.

No worries about escapees with this one; as is their usual MO anything that goes in the bag backs itself into a corner for protection. Never saw one try to leap to freedom. Also not possible for a lobster to push it's way out.

Especially those wimpy "claw-free" things you guys call lobsters south of here.

As funny girl indicates option#1 is the best selection for bug specific hunting days. If the lobster is too big for the main chute it can go in via the zipper opening.

I carry a smaller variant of option#2 when lobstering is not the central focus of the dive which folds up rather nicely...

I have both but use option #2 when hunting and lobstering.
I use #1 for just lobstering.
One thing you might consider is finding a way to secure ther zipper in option #1.
Maybe a double ender or something.
I've seen quite a few buggers coming back to the boat boasting of 4 or 5 bugs only to find the zipper had worked its way open.

Back
Top Bottom