Log Book question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kim

Here for my friends.....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Hi -
I've noticed in quite a few threads references to log books being checked at many sites. I've actually never been to site where I was asked for my logbook - but I suppose it might happen sometime! What I'm curious about is wether the printout from a computer logbook (Suunto Dive Manager) would be considered an acceptable log book. Since I got my Vyper I haven't really kept a handwritten log anymore - I transfered all the dives from my original log books into the software and now keep a log folder which holds all the dives. It occurs to me though that dives from my Vyper haven't been buddy countersigned so I wonder how picky people could get - or would this be considered adequate (the printouts include graphs of the profiles and tissue compartments + all the normal stuff - including the buddy's name)

If you diving advanced sites, advanced dive op or liveaboard, many will ask to verify you experience level as well as your advanced cards, i.e. AOW, EANx, Adv. EANx, Trimix etc.. This just gives them an idea as to how many dives you have done since your particular certification. They are leary of newly certified up scaled educated divers depending on the sites.

I've been diving many places, and have NEVER been asked for it, which is good 'cause I don't own one! I guess I'd have to show 'em my Vyper also...

A logbook really means nothing anyway .... how hard would it be to fill in a bunch of pages while sitting at your kitchen table .... the DM would never know the difference until you killed yourself doing something stupid underwater :)

IslandHopper:
the DM would never know the difference until you killed yourself doing something stupid underwater :)

Or worse yet, kill someone else.

Rick

Not once in over 13 years have I been asked for my log book either. I too only have printouts from various computers, as well as a couple OLD style logbooks dating from the early 90's.

KimLeece:
Hi -
I've noticed in quite a few threads references to log books being checked at many sites. I've actually never been to site where I was asked for my logbook - but I suppose it might happen sometime! What I'm curious about is wether the printout from a computer logbook (Suunto Dive Manager) would be considered an acceptable log book. Since I got my Vyper I haven't really kept a handwritten log anymore - I transfered all the dives from my original log books into the software and now keep a log folder which holds all the dives. It occurs to me though that dives from my Vyper haven't been buddy countersigned so I wonder how picky people could get - or would this be considered adequate (the printouts include graphs of the profiles and tissue compartments + all the normal stuff - including the buddy's name)

Kim,

You can actually get software to transfer Your Dive Data to Your PDA..Now that is Convienience

armyscuba:
Kim,

You can actually get software to transfer Your Dive Data to Your PDA..Now that is Convienience

When I can take my PDA diving and have it log all the Data real time, that would be convenience.

glbirch:
When I can take my PDA diving and have it log all the Data real time, that would be convenience.

Well that depends on How You define Taking it with You..You actually can with a case from Pelican..Can't use Your Stylus at Depth though..LOL..But with Bluetooth Technology..only a matter of time before You will have Wi-Fi in a Dive Computer..then it will be just that simple..Damn,, I know I'm going to regret this..I should go Patent it right now...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom