looking for a cold water reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another vote for the Apeks XTX50 with DS4 or DST 1st stage. Awesome breathing regs, great support. I have switched to all Apeks regs now.

Completely agree about the Zeagle Regulators! That is my quote exactly! I tell people the same thing all the time. For cold water I would recommend the DS-V, all the Zeagle performance plus environmental sealing and heat sinks on the second stage.

I personally use Aqua Lungs Titan LX Supreme. I dive regularily in water down to 38F and to depths of 130ft. Never had any issue with freeze up or free flow. Always breaths real nice.

thanks alot everyone for the great input, exactly what I needed. Ill let everyone know what my few final choices are and thanks again!

Strawhouse:

I've tried all the Sherwoods during my OW cert except for the SR1 (Sherwoods highend reg - numerous reported problems with this though) and they all breath the same way. Being built tough just isn't enough for me to fork out money for these regs.

Like I said earlier, the best compliment I can say about my Atomic M1's is that I don't even think about them. Beg/steal a set and try them, thank me later..

Mares Abyss 22 with an environment kit or Oceanic Delta 4.1. Both breath easy and are good in cold water. I would especially recommend the Delta 4.1 as Oceanic is better to deal with than Mares.

Use apeks XTX40, dived in 4 deg C at 18 m in the River Forth Estuary Scotland no problems, also used them in 28 deg C at West Palm Beach

another vote for the MAres Abyss 22, I have never had any issues with this reg in cold cold water. Have the LDS check it when it comes out of the box, and adjust the intermediate pressure though....they like to free flow a little too much out of the box.

There's nothing wrong with any of the choices provided. I use to use Poseidon exclusively, but have found they get a little too temperamental with age, requiring adjustment to stay tuned.

A few years ago, I switched to Apeks and favor the 100/200 ATX/XTX systems. I haven't been able to out-breathe them and dive commercially for a living, often quite deep. The rebuild kits are cheaper than the Poseidon, so I save money in the long-run over the Poseidon.

I'm a regulator technician and over the years have worked on quite a few. Apeks use to produce regulators for Zeagle, but things changed when Apeks was purchased by Aqualung. So parts are readily available worldwide.

Whatever regulator you choose, good luck with your purchase!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom