Looking for Cold Water Regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jon, it's unfortunate that you have such a low opinion of Sherwoods. I have had two and know several shops that use them in their rentals with none of the problems that you mention.

I started with a 2nd hand Brut in '91. However, I soon traded up to a Blizzard because:

1) Balanced piston 1st stage for easier breathing @ depth.
2) Specially designed for cold water use. (The Brut is NOT.)
3) 2nd stage is designed to return moisture back to your mouth. This works!
4)Breaths fine in any position. (Hanging upside down while trying go photograph is always fun. :))
5) Parts & servicing is widely available in my area (North America).

In addition, as I mentioned in an earlier post, the positive pressure bleed from the 1st stage essentially makes the unit environmentally sealed. Most other regs require additional/optional customization and a special "kit" to be "environmentally sealed" or "cold water outfitted".

The Blizzard also has several additional LP ports, which make it ideal for drysuit diving. I also like the exhaust tee on my particular model, because I don't get any bubble interference; I don't know how that compares with more recent models, however.

BTW, can you clarify what you mean by "old technology"? As far as I know, there are only two ways of operating a reg: diaphram & piston. Does the reg you like use something else?
Please elaborate. :)

~SubMariner~

Originally posted by SubMariner

BTW, can you clarify what you mean by "old technology"? As far as I know, there are only two ways of operating a reg: diaphram & piston. Does the reg you like use something else?
Please elaborate. :)

~SubMariner~

Old technology......

OK you mention diaphragm and piston. A good analogy here is a petrol (gas) engine, and a diesel engine.

Piston and diaphragm is roughly the equiv of petrol and diesel. The difference between old and new technology is that of a petrol or diesel engine dated from the 1940's, and a petrol or diesel engine designed within the last few years.

Petrol engines are still 4 stroke, require a spark plug etc.. like a modern diaphragn reg still requires the same basics as an old one

Diesel engines still have the compression stroke, and salf igniting fuel.... like a modern piston reg still requires the same basics as an old one

Old technology vs new technology in the reg design is how we take those basic principles and get them to do work for us.

Unfortunately, the insides of the sherwood have remained pretty much unchanged and unmodernised for 15 odd years. Look at manufacturers like scubapro who bring out new first stages regularly. By new I mean new, top of the range, increased performance regs. In order to get better performance they change the design internally. There will be plenty of factors that affect their performance that those of us not actually involved with their design can only guess at, and that are pretty much comercial secrets.

Apeks haven't said much about their reg designs, but there was mention in their literature at the london dive show that they do some major CFD calculations (computational fluid dynamics) to get the best design for their first stages.

Fields like reg performace are moving dynamic areas, research is going on, and new designs are comming out. Whatever you do, it is never good to stand still and not inovate. I personally don't think that Sherwood have inovated in the last few years. They have 'badge engineered' their basic design every few years.

Jon T

Hi Aaron,

Cove 2 is located just east of Salty's restaurant, if you drive down harbor ave just park right after the restaurant - cove 2 is pretty obvious - if you are out on a weekend - you can't miss it - milling with divers all the time, go up the street another block or so and you'll be at Seacrest.

Better hurry up and get out there before they shut it down for the ferry!

And what do you mena 12- 15' of viz is low - that's excellent man!!! ;-)

Terkel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom