Looking to get 1st canister light...Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JKSteger

D/M Wannabee ! ! !
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm just starting to research into canister lights. I'm looking to purchase within the next 6 months. I want to get a light that will suit me well.

1st> My "type" of diving.

I primarily dive in freshwater and most of my diving will be done in lakes where the ambient light disapears by 70' or so. There will be some particulate in the water that the light would need to try to "cut" thru. Some quarry's and Fl. springs.

2nd> Dive times.

Most dives are less than 1 hour currently but I will be taking Adv. Nitrox / Deco later this year. I still plan on diving locally with the OW divers from our Looney Birds group primarily.

3rd > Maintenece costs.

I know a HID will probably give me the best light output but I want to keep options open on Halogen, etc due to the expense of the HID bulb and how fragile they are.

4th > upfront cost.

Honestly I know you "get what you pay for" but I cannot drop a grand on a light. I would be looking at $700.00 as being the absolute top I could pay.

Please give me your thoughts and feedback on this. Thanks very much in advance.

J:

I can't guaruntee the price will meet your criteria (I got mine for a tad over $700), but I have a Green Force 10W FII and it performs flawlessly. I think it's one of the best pieces of gear I own.

NWGratefulDiver was diving with me Sunday, using a new Salvo 10W HID, and it was lovely. The lighthead was tiny -- I mean TINY -- and the battery canister was slim and short. It uses the same Brightstar bulb as the other Salvos, which is not fragile. I don't know what the battery burn time is on it, but it lasted our almost 70 minute dive in cold water. I think Bob said it was $570 through our local Salvo dealer.

The salvo 10 watt light would probably work well for you. They have an adjustable head model and a new fixed head model for a little less money that is a nice small package. The fixed head is a 6 degree beam so will give you a nice tight beam. If I can help you with a salvo or a diverite let me know.

Also the diverite handheld HID is a nice intro to hid light but the salvo puts it to shame.

Brent

I was very impressed with the tight beam on the Salvo 10W. In the low ambient light/low viz conditions where we were diving, it was just about as bright as my 21W.

Salvo 10w. Or GreenForce 10w HID. And don't fall for the line that HID is fragile. I've watched Salvo lights thrown against the wall, dropped onto concrete floors, and the light head beaten on convention tables while the light was on. They use the brightstar bulb as do most other manufacturers. A couple of people still use the Welch Allyn bulb which is where the "fragile HID" stories come from.

Think about the beating a car headlamp takes. Dirt roads, potholed streets, etc. They use the Brightstars (in a lot of cases) as well.

By the way, I used a Salvo 10w a few weeks ago. It was so much brighter than the GreenForce 10w and the Dive Rite 10w, you'd have thought it was an 18w or 21w. Huge difference. And you can get them in your price range too.

Thanks everyone, this is some of the info I was looking for. Like I stated I'm just starting to research into this. Thanks for clearing up the "fragile" stuff with the HID too.

Now, does anyone have any experience using the Salvo (or insert make here) 10W HID's in Lakes / Quarry's?

Thanks.
I'm going to look into the Salvo 10W HID's. I don't think there is a dealer in my area, Atlanta, GA. If there isn't is there somewhere I can order via internet or call and place order?

Thanks,
J:

JKSTeger ... i don't know about your exact conditions but for some reason we have noticed that in the lakes around here a halogen seems to penetrate the particulate better than either HID or LED. something to do with the color temp or something

of course saying that most of us still us HID can lights and have a halogen back-up in case it gets REALLY bad ... the car headlight effect of an HID is just great :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom