Looking to get 1st canister light...Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM:
NWGratefulDiver was diving with me Sunday, using a new Salvo 10W HID, and it was lovely. The lighthead was tiny -- I mean TINY -- and the battery canister was slim and short. It uses the same Brightstar bulb as the other Salvos, which is not fragile. I don't know what the battery burn time is on it, but it lasted our almost 70 minute dive in cold water. I think Bob said it was $570 through our local Salvo dealer.
Yep, bought this light for Cheng, and since she was out of town when it arrived I took it for a test dive. Most impressive ... at depth, where the ambient light was low, it compared favorably to Lynne's Salvo 21W. Nice tight beam, definitely a great light for low vis conditions.

It's a tiny thing, and very lightweight. I think it'll pack nicely for travel. If it was mine, I'd opt for the goodman handle ... but Cheng likes the little stretchy hand-strap, so that's what I got.

FWIW - this is NOT the same light as the Salvo-made Sea Elite.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

JKSteger:
Honestly I know you "get what you pay for" but I cannot drop a grand on a light. I would be looking at $700.00 as being the absolute top I could pay.

Please give me your thoughts and feedback on this. Thanks very much in advance.

J:
You will end up buying a second light if you cheap out the first time.

JeffG:
You will end up buying a second light if you cheap out the first time.

You know, you're right JeffG. I can't even list all the things I've bought twice because I didn't buy "right" the first time! I'm just going to budget in a good HID with adjustable focus and look to purchase it by Christmas!

I'm going to beg, plead, and bribe anyone and everyone to let me try out every brand make/model that I can get my hands on until then and keep asking alot of questions!

So now I think I will just get me some of the Tec 40's (little handheld) and use them on my lake dives and such. Remember, I'm doing recreational dives now and will not get into "tec" until later in the year when I start my training.

Thanks JeffG for bringing me back around to my senses!!

J:

JKSteger:
You know, you're right JeffG. I can't even list all the things I've bought twice because I didn't buy "right" the first time! I'm just going to budget in a good HID with adjustable focus and look to purchase it by Christmas!

I'm going to beg, plead, and bribe anyone and everyone to let me try out every brand make/model that I can get my hands on until then and keep asking alot of questions!

So now I think I will just get me some of the Tec 40's (little handheld) and use them on my lake dives and such. Remember, I'm doing recreational dives now and will not get into "tec" until later in the year when I start my training.

Thanks JeffG for bringing me back around to my senses!!

J:
Well, I speak from experience as well. (Said as an owner of a 10W and 21W light) :wink:

Speaking also as the owner of a 10W and a 21W, Jeff's right.

I had heard this enough, and went straight for the 21w.

Actually, I enjoy having both ... the 10W makes a handy backup when the more powerful (in my case, 18W) light doesn't want to work. And it also makes a nice "loaner" light when friends who dive come to town ... I never wish I only had one ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Actually, I enjoy having both ... the 10W makes a handy backup when the more powerful (in my case, 18W) light doesn't want to work. And it also makes a nice "loaner" light when friends who dive come to town ... I never wish I only had one ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Actually, I don't mind either for all the same reasons. But if you are only going to have 1...might as well have the right one.

We have several loaner lights at the shop, and I dove with our variety of 10w lights before buying my own. I wouldn't mind owning more than one light, but this is a viable option for me right now.

So do most of the "Cave Country" shops rent can lights? If I came down there where could I try some out by renting? Mind you I am only an OW diver and having lights at certain places if not cave or cavern is a big NO NO. So where could I rent a couple to try out and where could I dive with one in the area?

Thanks,
J:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom