Looking to get 1st canister light...Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't seen the 35W in action yet, but I can't imagine what would make me upgrade. The 21W is bright enough to cut through any visibility in which I am willing to dive, and I already feel a little guilty about frying the eyes on the critters I want to look at. (If you've had one of your buddies blind you with his light, you know just what I mean.)

GypsyDoc:
Out of curiosity, do you see an advantage to continuing to upgrade with a 35 W canister? Or perhaps going to a 35 W is not an advantage?
I would have to see it action first. I would like to see the color of the light underwater.

Would I upgrade? Doubtful. If I was buying my first light? I would definitely think about getting the 35W.

Those of my friends who have dived with the 35W say it isn't any brighter than the 21W, it just has a much broader "spot" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Those of my friends who have dived with the 35W say it isn't any brighter than the 21W, it just has a much broader "spot" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Thats the rub. Power is not the only factor. I have had the old and the new Salvo 21W bulbs and the old version doesn't even come close to the new bulb. The color of the new one is so much whiter than the old version, it makes it look twice as bright.

JeffG:
........ If I was buying my first light? I would definitely think about getting the 35W.
Hmmm, and that is the contemplation that I'm presently facing.

Is it poor team dynamics to use a 35 W when most others are using 21 W (or even a 10 W)? Is the broader and brighter spot a negative?

Frankly,

I think this is all much ado about nothing. If you can see, and your team can see you, you're golden. I've used 50w Halogens, 10w HID, 21w HID, and backup lights both LED and halogen. I've never had any problems with any of them.

PerroneFord:
Frankly,

I think this is all much ado about nothing. If you can see, and your team can see you, you're golden. I've used 50w Halogens, 10w HID, 21w HID, and backup lights both LED and halogen. I've never had any problems with any of them.
Nice when you have good clear water. If you don't, then you need as much power as you can buy.

GypsyDoc:
Hmmm, and that is the contemplation that I'm presently facing.

Is it poor team dynamics to use a 35 W when most others are using 21 W (or even a 10 W)? Is the broader and brighter spot a negative?
Not in my experience. As long as everyone's light has a tightly focused beam, seeing it is not an issue. Our dive teams commonly have a mix of 10W, 18W, 21W and 24W lights ... and there's never an issue with team dynamics.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

JeffG:
Nice when you have good clear water. If you don't, then you need as much power as you can buy.
I think focus is more important than power. Cheng's 10W Salvo is MUCH easier to see in murky water than her 10W NiteRider ... although they're the same power (in fact, the same bulb). The difference is in the width of the beam ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom