Looking to get 1st canister light...Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the 10W Salvo with the adjustable head and it works fine so far in Lanier and at the Quarry. I also used it at the Oriskany and in Rock Lake. Next time we partner I'll let you try it out.

Mike

NWGratefulDiver:
I think focus is more important than power. Cheng's 10W Salvo is MUCH easier to see in murky water than her 10W NiteRider ... although they're the same power (in fact, the same bulb). The difference is in the width of the beam ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I can see that. I never use fixed focus lights so I wouldn't see that issue. I just see the difference from 10W to 21W (old salvo) to 21W (new salvo)

and in our murky lakes there is a big difference between all three due to color/power alone.

NWGratefulDiver:
Those of my friends who have dived with the 35W say it isn't any brighter than the 21W, it just has a much broader "spot" ...

NWGratefulDiver:
I think focus is more important than power.........

So then with this factor as "more important", is the broader spot of the 35 W more of a negative?

GypsyDoc:
So then with this factor as "more important", is the broader spot of the 35 W more of a negative?
No ... because the spot's so bright. With a lower powered beam, a broader spot loses brightness ... and therefore its ability to penetrate any distance for signaling.

The only downside to a 35W light is its cost ... if that's not an issue with you, then there are nothing but advantages to having one (IMO).

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Another plug for the Salvo 21w. Cuts through limited vis ocean waters quite nicely. FAR brighter than most 10w cans I've seen. Well worth the money.

I'll probably kick myself someday for giving up this "secret", but you can get killer prices on lightly-used, factory-refurbished Salvo's (complete with warranty) from Salvo's website for a really good price... possibly low enough to make it under the budget.

CompuDude:
Another plug for the Salvo 21w. Cuts through limited vis ocean waters quite nicely. FAR brighter than most 10w cans I've seen. Well worth the money.

I'll probably kick myself someday for giving up this "secret", but you can get killer prices on lightly-used, factory-refurbished Salvo's (complete with warranty) from Salvo's website for a really good price... possibly low enough to make it under the budget.

Is that where you got yours Kalani?:wink:

Milo

ScubaMilo:
Is that where you got yours Kalani?:wink:

Milo
Nope, but then, I was in the market for a new one and not under the OP's budget constraints. I had a great bargain, no complaints here!

So yes, Jeremy, should a little (not a lot) extra cash become available, contact ScubaMilo, and he may be able to set you up with a shiny new Salvo instead of a used one. :D

CompuDude:
Nope, but then, I was in the market for a new one and not under the OP's budget constraints. I had a great bargain, no complaints here!

So yes, Jeremy, should a little (not a lot) extra cash become available, contact ScubaMilo, and he may be able to set you up with a shiny new Salvo instead of a used one. :D

Just giving you a hard time, I'm glad your happy with your light.
Jeremy if I can help let me know.
Either send me a pm or give me a call at work (714) 527-1500

Milo

I am also looking to buy a dive light and for what I see there is a huge Salve 21W fan club here....Do you guys use these light in day time or only at night?

Icarusflies:
I am also looking to buy a dive light and for what I see there is a huge Salve 21W fan club here....Do you guys use these light in day time or only at night?
All the time, except warm water high vis dives.

Back
Top Bottom