Lost Dive logs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I want to weigh in here as a dive professional and a lawyer, with a little less ridicule. The lost value is not just the paper, it is the content. What value would you place on an album of family photos that burned in a fire? Not merely the cost of the album. Nor even the cost of the prints or images it contained. So too with a dive log. If djsmurf ever wants to go pro, and has to prove up 60 logged dives, and has to repeat them just for the proof, then the value there is recognizable. So too is the "sentimental" value of the log, to the extent it is like a diary. The logs may be priceless on a personal level, but not on an objective valuation. The issue is to come up with a meaningful basis for valuation. You have certification cards showing your training completion, so all dive entries should receive the same value. At $1 per dive log entry, the value is $130.00. At $5 per entry ( a usual tip for a dive) the value is $650.00. Pick a number in that range. It is reasonable, and the worst thing that happens is your claim is rejected. Offer a brief explanation of value with your claim. I hope this response is more useful to you than the others. My dive logs are very important to me. They are worth more than the money paid for the books or discs that hold them. With all due respect, the other responders have missed the mark here.
DivemasterDennis

With all due respect, you are helping to propagate a mindset that people should sue for EVERYTHING and ANYTHING regardless of whether or not the lawsuit truly has merit. (Yet another reason why liability insurance in this country is more expensive than anywhere else on the planet.)

If the OP wants to go pro & has earned certifications in various specialties or dive levels, h/h certifying agency will be able to provide proof that the requisite number of dives to enter a pro level course have been achieved. H/S would also be able to have any or all of the Instructors who signed off on h/h courses also provide affidavits to the effect that the dives were carried out.

Other methods have already been discussed as to how the logs could be recreated.

Yes, the logs have sentimental value. But unless the OP can show that the logs are actually used to earn income, I don't see how any real value can be assigned to these lost personal items.

Last edited:
A reasonable number would be the cost of new log books and an estimate of how many hours times your hourly rate (your hourly pay while working for the company) to reconstruct the log books. While you will be relying on memory and will only be able to estimate the most basic information, it's better than nothing. While I don't believe in suing over something like this, the company has to be held responsible for their actions. Hopefully, someone isn't using your log book for toilet paper (I think I saw this in a movie once).

the "company" is asking him for a value, he's asking us

Several people have attempted to answer that question

I don't see that as ... anything more than that

...and then the judge may be a diver... :wink:

If djsmurf ever wants to go pro...

According to his profile, he already has: "Dive Classification: Instructor / Assistant Instructor / Dive Master / Dive Con"

The issue is to come up with a meaningful basis for valuation. You have certification cards showing your training completion, so all dive entries should receive the same value. At $1 per dive log entry, the value is $130.00. At $5 per entry ( a usual tip for a dive) the value is $650.00. Pick a number in that range. It is reasonable...

I don't see how either of those valuations is "meaningful" or "reasonable"... $1 seems to be totally arbitrary, and I don't see any relationship between the 'usual' tip (if there is such a thing) for a dive & the replacement value of a logbook entry

I'm sure we all agree the log books are worth more to the OP than the cost of the books themselves, but that doesn't justify a court case IMH non-lawyer O

if your ex job had nothing to do with diving, why did you leave personal items NOT
related to you JOB, there in the first place,
they are offcourse NOT responsible for any kinds of personal lost items.

the value of any kind of personal note book
can not be valued or understood by any other person,
if it is important to you in the first place, you should make copies and backed up
its content, you did not !! this reveal it it is not that important to you,
and you are wasting your time claming they shoud pay anything at all.

Wow post a question on here are people start call you a troll hmm..... and where did the whole suing thing come form? The "Court case" or arbitration for that matter was nothing more then a once this is settled it's settled matter, assume much people?

With that matter aside I did as I always do have back-ups of all of my dive records, never part of my OP (for a reason), not sure why it came up in the first place. The same goes for the replies that went in the direction of me loosing the books (If you get on an airplane, check your luggage and it for whatever reason do not show up where you do, did you loose your luggage or did the airline?)

I gave very basic information for a reason, asked a very simple question, ask for and expected nothing more then basic off the top of your head feedback, (there were some post that helped and thanks to those that provided some intelligent input), however to the people that posted a reply based on assumptions (Half of you sounded like whining children), some advice think before you type, it helps.

To SubMariner and Lead_carrier I do hope you come to a point in life where you need someones help, and all they offer is the finger and a dirty look, it seems your more then deserving of that. How's that for a troll :rofl3:

Thanks again to those who provided some valid input.

With that matter aside I did as I always do have back-ups of all of my dive records, never part of my OP (for a reason), not sure why it came up in the first place.

Well if you have backups of all your dive records like you say, then the cost of two log books would be the most I would ask for.

Edit: On second thought, if you knew that you had a backup of all of your dive records, why would you even ask for more than the replacement books in the first place unless you are trying to get more than your fair share.

Having a backup of a dive record does not mean that the dive log is just a bunch of paper with the same information in it.

... what about all the notes and other tidbits that make that dive different/memorable?

Well if you have backups of all your dive records like you say, then the cost of two log books would be the most I would ask for.

Edit: On second thought, if you knew that you had a backup of all of your dive records, why would you even ask for more than the replacement books in the first place unless you are trying to get more than your fair share.

At what point in time did you ever see me place an number it front of anything? I never stated that I was asking for anything at the time of my post. You might want to read over the OP again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom