Lube for Octo to First Stage ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Read the Tek Tip towards the middle of this page about using lube and where. It's titled Oxygen Compatible, but it applies to all:

Oxygen Compatible O-Rings, Lubricant and Tools - Dive Gear Express

Good information

Thanks! according to that I shouldn't use any LUBE at all.

How Much and Where to Use Lubricant

Some people very sparingly lubricate the SPG swivel O-ring. Some people also sparingly lubricate the threads of valves before they are installed in the cylinder neck. Do NOT lubricate the neck O-ring itself, and absolutely positively do not lubricate the valve/regulator seal O-ring or DIN threads. Most lubricant is used with dynamic seals in regulators and valves. As a general rule, the O-rings used with static seals in SCUBA applications should not be lubricated at all. The lubricant just causes contamination to stick to the surface of the O-ring and results in more problems with a static seal than any dubious benefit the lubricant might provide.

The best of the best the bees knees the ants pants

And a great seller too

DUPONT KRYTOX GPL-205 Grease, 2 oz. 56.7g, Oxygen Safe | eBay

For O2, when you're not using spit

Viton has a poor service life

I use EPDM on all my 100% Oxygen things
Unless I am somewhere without 100kg of spares
then I use what is available and spit

Some people very sparingly lubricate the SPG swivel O-ring.
Don't know if I'd agree with that statement.
In practice, I would say that most people generously lubricate the HP spool o-ring that helps the SPG swivel. Some even lube the outside of the HP spool as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom