making the switch-wet to drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with GOG and Crush, don't use ankle weights not even to start out with. Why anybody would want to add weights to your their feet is beyond me.
Also don't add too much air to your suit, only enough to eliminate the squeeze. I also leave the valve open, to vent I simply roll to the right.

I can tell you why. My rock boots float like corks! I put them in a pool, it took two 8oz sinkers in each boot to make them neutral. Without the ankle weights when I try to surface swim, (we rock hoppers do that alot) my feet/fins float to the surface and instead of being propelled forward I'm pushed head 1st underwater until my snorkel is submerged. That's with a 94lb lift wing fully inflated, half inflated, mostly deflated doesn't matter. So it's ankle weights, sinkers stuck in my boots or surface swim on my back. I took 2 lbs off my belt my trim is good and I can surface swim face down and be able to see where I'm going. So what's wrong with that?

but a P-valve can be a pain in the arse, .

You are not using it properly then :rofl3:

Seriously though, look at using Steel tanks instead of Aluminium, helps reduce weight on the belt, as do ankle weights.

Expect to make several consecutive dives over a few days to feel comfortable if you are used to using a wetsuit

Finding the correct undergarmets is a challange depending on water temps. Your weight is dependent on the undergarmets as well. The bulkier the more weight that is needed. You will find you will need more weight with a drysuit because of more air to deal with. Most will tell you to inflate to take the pinch off and for comfort and then use the the BCD for minor changes as needed. The problem with this is that you are trying to control two bubbles. Others will tell you to only use the BCD on the surface and use the suit for buoyancy. It really is up to you and what works for you. As others have said the first few dives you will feel like you are learning to dive all over again. Then, one day something clicks and Wham you got it.

Another issue is make sure you have a properly fitting drysuit. I've seen many struggle with a drysuit that is either too small or too large. Fit is very important. Too small and you cannot move, too big and you cannot control the bubble.

BB

Don't use anything cotton as an undergarment ,use a synthetic fiber that will wick moisture away from your body (your diving inside a waterproof bag)

I got dedicated footwear (rockboots) after having my feet slip out of dive boots that were expanded by air during the practicing recovery of a stuck inflator drill

The advice about having a very good mentor or instructor to teach you (and stress you a bit) is spot on, a drysuit has some penitentially dangerous failure modes that you want to practice getting out of, not just avoiding them
... my class review of what others have said was a very good drysuit class ... My Drysuit Class

I can tell you why. My rock boots float like corks! I put them in a pool, it took two 8oz sinkers in each boot to make them neutral. Without the ankle weights when I try to surface swim, (we rock hoppers do that alot) my feet/fins float to the surface and instead of being propelled forward I'm pushed head 1st underwater until my snorkel is submerged. That's with a 94lb lift wing fully inflated, half inflated, mostly deflated doesn't matter. So it's ankle weights, sinkers stuck in my boots or surface swim on my back. I took 2 lbs off my belt my trim is good and I can surface swim face down and be able to see where I'm going. So what's wrong with that?

I think it comes down to your personal priorities.

I agree, you have solution for your SURFACE SWIMMING issue, but there is still a cost of the excess energy used to overcome the inertial load imposed by the extra mass you have added to you ankles swimming submerged. My priority is to maximize propulsion effectiveness SUBMERGED, so maybe when I am on my back swimming on the surface I zig-zag a bit. I have lots of time and unlimited air on the surface. BTW: My rock boots sink, what kind do you have the are 1lb buoyant?

Afterdark,

I think your buoyant boots may be the exception. I'm certainly not going to question you, you're obviously very experienced, and know what works for you. What I can't advocate is blindly recommending ankle weights without knowing all the facts, as was suggested by another poster. I think starting out with ankle weights is a bad idea. Using them to solve a diagnosed problem is not. I opted for turbo soles on my suit, I cinch the staps down real tight and minimal air travel to my feet. I don't keep a lot of air in my suit, just enough to make it comfortable. I prefer to use a bc for buoyancy control.

I'm drawing my conclusions from personnel experience, as well as the the experience of a good friend of mine who swore by ankle weights. As an experiment we put his ankle weights in his weight belt and moved his tank (lp95) down 2 inches. He did a 2nd dive like that and trimmed out nicely and noticed a big difference in his finning. He no longer uses ankle weights.

I think it comes down to your personal priorities.

I agree, you have solution for your SURFACE SWIMMING issue, but there is still a cost of the excess energy used to overcome the inertial load imposed by the extra mass you have added to you ankles swimming submerged. My priority is to maximize propulsion effectiveness SUBMERGED, so maybe when I am on my back swimming on the surface I zig-zag a bit. I have lots of time and unlimited air on the surface. BTW: My rock boots sink, what kind do you have the are 1lb buoyant?

Pinnecale rock boots. I don't even notice the weights on my ankles. If you saw my legs you'd understand why. Most people i dive with complain I swim too fast. The 20 year old, stiff MARES Avarti's fins I use help a bit with that.

Petrieps, I agree with both your posts. I started dry suit diving with a Uni-Suit it had hard sole attached boots as did the 3 suits I owned after that and until I got this new suit I never considered ankle weights. You stated you couldn't see a reason why anyone would use ankle weights so I chimed in, 2 years ago I would have agreed with you. We never stop learnng do we?

No we never do stop learning. Last year I bought a new BC, now I'm kicking myself for not going with a BP & W after recently trying one. I guess I have to dive a lot and wear this one out too.

You stated you couldn't see a reason why anyone would use ankle weights so I chimed i...

I never said any such thing. My first response was "I would avoid the ankle weight if possible, adding mass to your legs making fining more work. If you have floating feet, consider gators.", my second to clarify the point with turnerjd was "Being a useful tool is one thing, but your post seem to advocate them as a primary requirement."

Neither directly states nor implies ankle weights are useless and actually admits the can be a useful tool. We have both been around long enough to know there are few absolutes in diving as conditions, people and gear can be very diverse. I stand on my advice though that they should not be the first thing to reach for. BTW: I do actually own a pair of ankle weight and have used them a few times, so I am not just regurgitating scuba board lore.

Back
Top Bottom