Male VS. Female

Are you Male or Female?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh...sorry. Didn't catch that. My bad. I am pennetant.:god:

sandshaker:
right now it is 80 / 20 on this poll...

I am woman hear me roar!!!!!:)
Wow, so you are a woman, Sandshaker? I had no idea. I think it's time for me to start paying some attention to people's profiles on this board. :D

Female.

It might be interesting to find out what nationalities the respondents represent. As RikRaeder points out, there are differences among different countries. Japan does seem to have a greater proportion of women divers than any other group I've come in contact with.

In my NAUI master class last night, there were three of them and two of us. Then, about half an hour late, a father and son showed up, giving us the majority by one, but the son might drop the class, which would put us and them at parity.

When I'm with my buddy, we're a half-and-half, but when I'm doing solo work cleaning the bottom of my parents' pool, I have a 100% majority. :D

(Incidentally, Japan has one more woman diver, since my buddy just flew out to teach English for a while, but if you count her, you've got to count me, as I'll be flying over to go diving as soon as she says I can. :))

A male friend and I were having a conversation about whether we preferred teaching male or female students. I said I prefer the females (I teach at a college), they are more attentive and tend to read the material before class. They ask questions in the classroom and during the pool sessions when they don't understand something and if they are feeling a little freaked out they are not afraid to say so. The men I usually get (18-24 years old) are chock full of testosterone and many tend to spend their time goofing off instead of paying attention in the pool. When I see a lone diver I can pretty much bet he separated from his male buddy, the females tend to stay buddied up better in class.

My friend prefers to teach males (he teaches through a shop and at a university as well). He says they don't need to be "taken care of" and "babied" like the female students do and the males aren't as hard to "wean" off of the instructor. I have to give him some credit, he's several years older than I am and very much a gentleman and I think that has an impact on his teaching of females. The first time we dove together after the dive he said, "Here, let me pull your fins off"--DUDE! Thank you for the offer but get your paws off my fins! His gentleman ways are the reason he thinks males are easier to teach, I don't see him offering to take the guys fins off for them. :D

He took me out in his extra set of double 100's "Here, let me move these for you." He gets me rigged up and says "Stay there with the tanks resting on the picnic table" and walked into the tent for something. I went to his pick-up, bear hugged his double 100's while wearing mine and carried them over to the picnic table for him. He saw me as I was almost to the table and his eyes got big. I said, "Here, I thought I'd move these to the table for you." :D
Ber :lilbunny:

I assisted with my 1st OW class this past weekend and we had 4 ladies and 2 guys in it.

I was told when I was going through my OW class (in 1999) that women are ruining the sport because we want all this brightly colored stuff. ???

Thanks everyone, looks like the average is right, about 80 - 20 %. Someone posted that this percent is just on scubaboard and people who click the poll......well duh? Some people just amaze you sometimes...anyways....You guys are right about Japan, etc...but I guess overall, worldwide, it will stay about 80 - 20%, or 70 - 30%. Hey who knows maybe even 50 - 50, we will never know exactly.

divezero:
Thanks everyone, looks like the average is right, about 80 - 20 %. Someone posted that this percent is just on scubaboard and people who click the poll......well duh? Some people just amaze you sometimes...anyways....You guys are right about Japan, etc...but I guess overall, worldwide, it will stay about 80 - 20%, or 70 - 30%. Hey who knows maybe even 50 - 50, we will never know exactly.
that would be me - yeah duh, but you were the one saying you were doing this to get "better information"... some people do amaze you, I've been often amazed at the people who put up polls and clearly think they're meaningful. You've just presented the results of a pointless poll as fact - "looks like the average is right, about 80 - 20 %"

Back
Top Bottom