man! it's cold!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also have a Henderson, the suit doesn't have a long lifespan (100 dive days-NOT DIVES)....but the ease of putting on/off, I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

I'm sold on the Henderson 7mm and hood.

wow!
never knew there were so many options...
i suppose the bottomline is ..

stick with a 7mm,
use hooded vest,
henderson = good, but not that warm...

ok....
will start looking into buying one this week...

thanks, gang~

-dan

ps> i wish we could all just hook up and have a bbq and then take a plunge!

Dan,
Agreed on your bottom line points, but also keep in mind that a well-fitting wetsuit is key. A suit that fits tight and comfortably will keep you warmer and more comfortable than one that's too big. For that reason, unless you are one of those people lucky enough to be built like a rack-suit model :wink: , I suggest getting a custom suit. They tend to be much easier to put on and get comfortable in, plus they'll fit you right and snug to keep you warm.
I got mine from New Wave in Fullerton, CA (714-870-9517 to schedule a fitting appointment. I think their toll-free # is 888-699-7848.) and have been very happy with them. I know at least 3 people that have used them based on my recommendation, in addition to the many people I've refered here, and all have been happy with what they got. They'll make a custom 7ml suit in whatever colors and with whatever options you choose (pockets, zippers, etc...),for right around $200 (depending on the options you choose). And, no I don't work for them or get a kickback of any kind, I was just very happy with them, and like to pass on my good experience.

deputydan1:
wow!
One more to help confuse you even more...

My wife and I just got Henderson Hyperstretch 7/5 full suits. We used rental 7mm previously. She uses a hood, I don't. She gets cold easily, I don't.

Bottom line, at Catalina we were both comfortable. Not toasty warm (but this IS California, not tropics), and not dry, but comfortable.

The ease of putting on the suits compared to what we went through with the rental gear was amazing. They go on and come off remarkably well.

Hope this helps...

deputydan1:
wow!

stick with a 7mm,
use hooded vest,

ok....

thanks, gang~

-dan

Nope, haven't been listening at all...........go stand in the corner and repeat the following: "Integrated Hood, 8,7,6,5mm, chest zipper, Xcel).

deputydan1:
wow!

stick with a 7mm,
use hooded vest,

ok....

thanks, gang~

-dan

Dan,

I have a Henderson Gold Core 7mm. I find it very warm, but of course harder to put on than the hyperstretch... not impossible though. I wear a Hyperstretch hooded vest underneath it, a 5mm. I have been happy all spring and summer. I bought a drysuit for the winter because I knew I would NOT be so happy (anytime it is below 60 I am shivering even in this... heck, I shiver in the Caribbean sometimes too in a 3mm!).

Happy shopping,

jennifer

lol!!!!

PLEASE STOP!!!!

TMI!!!!

(too much information!!!!!!!) lol!

you guys/gals are great. thanks for letting me pick your brains.

SO! i will look into the henderson, the gold core, the custom ones, as well as the other ones mentioned. i can get an employee discount at sport chalet!!! anyone recommend any from there??? they have Oneil's i believe.

thanks again.....

i am still leaning towards the hyperstretch since my LDS is telling me to get that one.

i wish i could go to that saturday mornin dive!! but if i don't have a suit, i am outta luck!

-dan

ShakaZulu:
Nope, haven't been listening at all...........go stand in the corner and repeat the following: "Integrated Hood, 8,7,6,5mm, chest zipper, Xcel).

The xcel hooded 976 is my suit of choice when I dive wet. Killer wetsuit and one of the stock sizes actually fit me. It keeps me almost as warm as my drysuit.

deputydan1:
i am still leaning towards the hyperstretch since my LDS is telling me to get that one.

i wish i could go to that saturday mornin dive!! but if i don't have a suit, i am outta luck!

-dan
There is plenty of time between now and Saturday to try on a bunch of wet suits and buy one. You could always rent one for Saturday!

So far I love my Hyperstretch, but I'm also the guy walking around the ski resort in a pair of shorts! :11:

We'll see if I'm still loving the suit in January and February. Eventually, I want to buy a dry suit anyway, so this will become my summer beater someday.

Christian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom