Manta Bowl - Ticao Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mesje

Registered
Reaction score
I would like to ask you, which dive centers organize dives in the Manta Bowl (Ticao Island) and where are they located?
Could I dive in the Manta Bowl although I am a dive beginner (with only few dives)?
Thank you for every information.

I did a trip to Ticao which was organized by Aqua-One (in San Antonio Village, Makati)a few years ago but im not sure if they still organize trips like that.

I was a relative beginner when I went there (around 20 dives under my belt) and did not cause any problems for my companions (I think, hehe).

Anyway, the currents were pretty rough when I was there (both on the surface and underneath) and it was the first time I did a negative entry (in blue water no less). As long as your buoyancy and air consumption are OK, I dont see why you cant do Ticao.

In my opinion its not a trip worth going too. The place is too far and there is no guarantee that you will see them, aside from the bowl there is no other site there worth diving. Better to go to the visayas area (moalboal, bohol, balicasag, apo island or sogod bay)

But if you really want to go there, try adventurebound.com.ph, they use to run trips to that area. Aqua-one is unfortunately no longer operating.

Axua:
In my opinion its not a trip worth going too. The place is too far and there is no guarantee that you will see them, aside from the bowl there is no other site there worth diving. Better to go to the visayas area (moalboal, bohol, balicasag, apo island or sogod bay)

But if you really want to go there, try adventurebound.com.ph, they use to run trips to that area. Aqua-one is unfortunately no longer operating.

I am struggling with the same questions as the OP. But Axua, you say that Tiaco is not really worth it? AFAIK Manta bowl is by far the best place to see mantas in philippines, am I correct?

I will go tp Philippines this march fro 1 month and I am going to moalboal, bohol, balicasag, apo island, also to Malapascua. But afaik there is no high chance to see mantas there, right?

P.S. I digged adventurebound.com.ph site but found nothing related to ticao trips, is there other dive operators who do manta bowl dives?

Well you could see Mantas on Monad Shoal in the afternoon in Malapascua. Not sure if it's seasonal though.

Practical comment: the visa issued by the Philippines customs on arrival is max 3 weeks for Finnish folks; its up to the discretion of the customs officer to give you up to 60 days. Not sure how to go about this, something you may want to consider if you intend to overstay?

Regards, Arie

Bombarie:
Practical comment: the visa issued by the Philippines customs on arrival is max 3 weeks for Finnish folks; its up to the discretion of the customs officer to give you up to 60 days. Not sure how to go about this, something you may want to consider if you intend to overstay?

Regards, Arie

Yes, I am aware of this. Well my plan is, that I just take that extension from somewhere. I heard you can do it on Puerto Galera. Just pay 10$ more and you can have it on same day AFAIK.

Correct me if I am wrong.

And guys, do you have any info to answer to my original question: What diveshops do Manta Bowl diving besides, Steady Eddie and prosafari?

Scorpius:
Yes, I am aware of this. Well my plan is, that I just take that extension from somewhere. I heard you can do it on Puerto Galera. Just pay 10$ more and you can have it on same day AFAIK.

Correct me if I am wrong.

yes you can do it at PG. Ask the people at the reception desk where you can have ur visa extended.

Does anyone have any further insight into this dive site? I'm in Donsol now and I am curious to see if it's worth the money and time to dive!

I was on the dive team that discovered and named Manta Bowl back in the early 90's. It is a cool dive but hard to get to and you need a good guide and there are not many people going there nowadays. I also don't recommend this site for a beginner as there are strong currents.

I have had the best luck finding Mantas at Tubbataha reef, however you can only reach it by livaboard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom