Marks on neck after diving dry.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ameneon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a problem with "choke" marks on front part of the neck after diving dry. I use a drysuit with latex neck seal. It varies how much/strong they are. Sometimes it goes away at once, sometimes it takes days.

I am not sure why and when it happens. The seal is abit too tight I think, but I have used the suit for hours as boat driver, rescue diver etc without no marks. Only suggestion I have is that it might happen at the end of the dive when the tank is not as full (15 litre steel tank) and I might squeeze the suit too much to stay down. I am pretty well weighted so I have close to no air in wing and suit at the end at the safety stop.

I think I have heard about some people being allergic to latex? But I have never had any problems with the wrist seals so I doubt that might be it.

Anyone know the most common reasons for such marks? And fixes.

Tell your spouse/significant other to ease up :wink:

This can often be from skin getting pulled by the seal, sort of like an "indian burn." Do you use KY or anything to lubricate the seal? Also, be sure to pull the seal down a bit, such that it can't really get pulled down during the dive.

I am allergic to latex. I can tell you from experience that if you are allergic, the reactions are immediate and universal. You will not be allergic in one place and not allergic in another. When I touch latex, the skin dies like a chemical burn. It becomes scaly and peels off in layers. The allergy is to a protein in latex. The same protein is in bananas, mangoes, and avocados. Can't eat any of those.

I don't think you are allergic but a dermatologist uses a simple test to determine if you are. They take a piece of latex and tape it to the inside of your bicep. Leave it for 2 days. You will find a very irritated site when you remove the latex if you are allergic. In fact when I was tested, I left it on for 15 minutes and had to pull it off to stop the reaction.

It sounds like it's just too tight.

This can often be from skin getting pulled by the seal, sort of like an "indian burn." Do you use KY or anything to lubricate the seal? Also, be sure to pull the seal down a bit, such that it can't really get pulled down during the dive.
I know I tried pulling it down a couple of dives, but I am not sure if I stopped because it got uncomfortable or because it didn't help. If uncomfortable cutting some of the latex off and then pulling it down might help. I guess I will pull it down and try not to move my head much for the next dives and check for improvement before I cut it as well.
I don't use lubricants, only talcum powder for the safe storage of the latex.

...allergic to latex...
Yeah I doubt that is it. Especially since I can wear the suit out of the water without much happening.

Neo neck seal.
I've considered it. But I've heard many stories about many more people having problems with leakage with neo than latex so I'm a little hesistant.

It sounds like it's just too tight.
Might be. What's confussing me is that for instance once I had the suit on for six hours (not diving) helping out on a course at my diving club with no marks. I'm also abit warry about cutting it to try and adjust it in case that's not the real reason and it gets too loose and starts letting in water.

I've considered it. But I've heard many stories about many more people having problems with leakage with neo than latex so I'm a little hesistant.

I had neoprene seals on my DS for the past 5 years and they were comfortable, warm and went the distance and are still in good shape. Being neoprene the fit will change with the pressure of depth. If you do a lot of deep dives they can become less predictable.

Pete

I had neoprene seals on my DS for the past 5 years and they were comfortable, warm and went the distance and are still in good shape. Being neoprene the fit will change with the pressure of depth. If you do a lot of deep dives they can become less predictable.

Pete

I do dives down to about 180' quite often. I've never had ANY leak issues with my neoprene neck seal. In every way, I've found it superior to a latex seal. I do wear a bio seal underneath it.

I never trim my neck seals at all. I will stretch the neck seal over an aluminum 80 for 1-2 days and it will be fine from there on out. I have had the same marks on my neck if I did not stretch the seal before wearing.

Back
Top Bottom