Marks on neck after diving dry.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the replies.

Didn't find any threads on my original search but found a couple when googling for the apollo bio-seal. For instance Apollo bio-seal ... does it work? [Archive] - ScubaBoard was on same topic.

The latex seal is getting old and doubt it will hold for much longer so I guess I will try to stretch it abit first and see how that turns out. And I will reconsider on giving the neo seal a try. Or I might just try the bio-seal first. :)

one thing I noticed, if I do not get the neck seal smoothed out and have an edge folded down somewhere it rubs and leaves marks and gets uncomfortable (need a buddy to help )
and I've heard the KY on the seal or neck works ... talc does not lubricate as well when it's wet (mud?)

I get these marks all the time. If the neck seal is new (and tight), it does not move around much and only one spot is affected. When it loosens up, I get the marks all around my neck ("kinky gf" effect).

Lots of KY jelly helps somewhat, but I basically just got used to it and ignore it (so do my colleagues and friends. "Had a good weekend?" "Yes , went di.., well, have a look at my neck").

I have read that Susan from DUI recommends Bag Balm under the latex seal. I have used it, and it works extremely well. It will even help heal burns you already have, while you are still using the seal. And it reportedly contains nothing that will degrade the latex. It is available at most feed and some pet stores, and of course, on line.

I've heard the KY on the seal or neck works

try seal saver the night before you dive

recommends Bag Balm under the latex seal.

Because of shipping and customs the bio-seal got abit expensive so I'll try that last.
Bag balm is not sold over here, KY and seal saver could be an option. I'll ask at a pharmacy for their suggestion as they probably have a good idea of what helps.
Is there anything special that one should stay away from because it degrades the latex?

McNett sells a product called Seal Saver, which works extremely well for neck rash. You should be able to find it anywhere that sells diving products ... I use it on my seals instead of talc, particularly during the warmer months when body sweat rather quickly turns talc into a useless mud.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

don't use ..
Petroleum products
Non-water soluble silicone (not because it degrades it, but because it's almost imposable to remove if any repairs are needed in the future .. don't confuse this with Food Grade silicone that 100% soluble in water and is fine)

don't use ..
Petroleum products
Non-water soluble silicone (not because it degrades it, but because it's almost imposable to remove if any repairs are needed in the future .. don't confuse this with Food Grade silicone that 100% soluble in water and is fine)

What's a good source for food grade silicone? I can only find little 1 gram or .1 oz tubes . . .

McNett has some ..
UV Tech
Silicone Pump
... is 100% water soluble (Per the MSDS, Material Safety Data Sheet )
.. there used to be links at McNett for the MSDS on each product .. dont see them now

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom