Marks on neck after diving dry.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Apollo Bioseal will degrade latex seals. It had a material impact on degrading my latex neck seal on my DUI drysuit over a period of a few months. I believe that the sensitivity of one's skin contributes to the irritation of the seal on the neck area. I've noticed that I typically get the marks more frequently when using the drysuit in salt water and when I am on a dive where I need to move my head around a lot (e.g. a working dive, or diving with a buddy swimming erratically that I have to constantly keep track of). I think that the salt must contribute to the irritation or abrasion of the latex seal on the skin of the neck. When I dive fresh water, I do not get the irritation on the neck at all. There's not much I've found effective for the irritation other than to just suck it up. Yes, it does suck.

I have the same problem. It definately has been worse in the salt water. Placing the neck seal lower seems to help.
Thanks for the seal saver idea!

Agree with the above post. Stretching it a bit should help.
I actually started to notice the marks after I replaced my seals during the winter. There wasn't anything like it with the old seals 'cuz it was a little loose.

Talc is dreck. Shaving rash is dreck. Use a glycerine based cheap water soluble multi purpose lubricant from the supermarket, for seals. Those pump pack silicone things are mainly water. Use vinyl reviver or armour all. They say silicone is not condusive to future seal replacement.
Food grade silicone aerosol spray that is fairdinkum comes from the industrial kitchen machinery shop.

Last edited:
I do dives down to about 180' quite often. I've never had ANY leak issues with my neoprene neck seal. In every way, I've found it superior to a latex seal. I do wear a bio seal underneath it.

I have had a neoprene seal for a while and I used to have leaking problems which got worse (as I lost weight) with it and was going to switch. Given I had taken it to a drysuit repairer and gotten it fitted and when I thought it seemed loose I was told that they were supposed to be like that but it always leaked a bit... So I presumed it was just something that happened with neoprene seals... But when it started leaking real bad after I lost some weight I went to a repairer who measured me again and said it was way too loose. The measurement he took was a fair bit tighter than the original fit in the end. Since it's been taken in I have had no issues with leaking.

So yea, I am now very happy with my neo neckseal too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom