Mask fogging issues...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never had luck with toothpaste. With some masks you have to burn more than once. My current mask I had to burn 5 or 6 times. When you no longer get black or brown stuff on lense you know you've got it all. Make sure you rinse between burns to cool and clean lense.

As also suggested, you're probably noose breathing a little also.

Mix 1/8 baby shampoo to fresh water in a small spray bottle. (travel section at Walmart). Spray in mask before each dive. Drain but don't rinse. That way if you get a little fog, you can clear and the re-activate baby shampoo. You will have little bubbles when you first put on mask but they disappear at depth.

Why hasn't anyone suggested spit yet? It seems to work better than defog or baby shampoo for me.
Everyone's spit differs. Mine doesn't work perfectly all the time, especially in the pool.

I guess I am lucky - Toothpaste and/or flame when the mask is new and then just bit of spit before each dive has worked for every mask I have owned over the last 34 years.

++++ for Baby Shampoo and saves you a lot of $$. Spit is hard core and last resort......not very sanitary and higher risk for eye infection.

Spit works for me, I tried a number of other methods first without success, now I just spit in the mask before I dive, smear it round the lens with a finger and dunk the mask to rinse and I don't have a problem.

The other thing I had started doing before I found the spit trick if my mask did fog, was to part flood the bottom of the mask, turn my head from side to side and just wash the fog off, then clear the mask. Makes you good at mask clearing as well :)

Phil

Make sure that you read the manufacturers instructions on your mask before using anything on the lenses as some masks now have an anti fog coating on the lenses and using soft scrub or toothpaste on them will damage the coating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

None of the defog tricks will work until you get the silicone residue off the mask. That takes abrasives and elbow grease.

Make sure that you read the manufacturers instructions on your mask before using anything on the lenses as some masks now have an anti fog coating on the lenses and using soft scrub or toothpaste on them will damage the coating.

Which manufacturers?

Seavision is one, I will have to look up the others, a lot of times it is the really expensive masks that have coatings on the lenses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom