Mask fogging issues...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brushing with toothpaste or burning the mask are both good advice. I prefer the toothpaste, but this is irrelevant. The only very important missing piece of information here (from my point of view) is how to test whether you cleaned it good or not. What I do is very simple. I brush, then I clean the mask with very cold water - the coldest available. In tropical climate you might want to sink the mask in a bucket with water&ice (if burning you might also need to cool it down slowly first in order to not break the glass).

Then I put the mask on my face and exhale on my nose. If it fogs, I repeat the procedure. When you do it enough, it will not fog anymore. For brushing, this means about 30 minutes of continuous brushing to achieve the result. You will be very tired at the end :)

But this works. I have cleaned about 30 masks of friends this way, not just mine, and all never ever fogged again.

My mask is used in 6-7 degrees Celsius waters, with air temperatures of 30-35 degrees Celsius, in summer, and never fogged.

And yes, I spit and then rinse very fast (just 1 second) before putting it on my face and keeping it there during the whole dive.

Brushing with toothpaste or burning the mask are both good advice. I prefer the toothpaste, but this is irrelevant.

For brushing, this means about 30 minutes of continuous brushing to achieve the result. You will be very tired at the end :)

But this works. I have cleaned about 30 masks of friends this way, not just mine, and all never ever fogged again.

You're not actually using a toothbrush with the toothpaste, are you? That might explain why it's taking you more than just a few minutes.

You're not actually using a toothbrush with the toothpaste, are you? That might explain why it's taking you more than just a few minutes.
Yes, I'm using a toothbrush and rubbing very hard. But the end result almost doesn't require spit :)

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I don't care whether people use spit or whalesh1t. Just don't toss your mask into the mask-bucket on the boat in between dives. Despite all the protestations, spit is a wonderful vector for spreading disease.

I use Bon-Ami to clean my masks. It contains an abrasive that is just a little bit softer than the glass and as a result, it will leave the glass really, really clean. Do not use Bon-Ami on any plastic or painted surfaces, like gauge, watch, or computer faces, because it will scratch it.

Yes, I'm using a toothbrush and rubbing very hard. But the end result almost doesn't require spit :)

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Use your fingertips; you'll get much better results. With a brush, you're not really getting much benefit of the abrasive in the toothpaste. The bristles of a toothbrush simply move it around rather than actually rubbing it on the surface which is what your finger tip will do. Could be why it takes you 30min with a brush instead of the 5min it takes me with my thumb.

Use the toothpaste on the skirt too. There is residue on there that needs to be removed as well.

I usually do the burn thing with a lighter first until the glass is too black to see through. Then three or four rounds of toothpaste hitting the skirt as hard as the glass. Then a small dab of baby shampoo rubbed over the glass with a quick swish of water.

Use a drop of baby shampoo, rub it around both lenses, let it dry a minute. When you throw the mask on, if it's blurry just breath through your nose and it will moisten up the shampoo and clear things up. You really only need a drop though. Thin film across the entire lens will do it.

I find my spit works best and it's free :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom