Mask Removal/Replacement While Holding Trim & Bouyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blackwood:
But, to be fair, if your mask ever gets ripped off by a particularly mischievous kelp forest, it's not going to warn you beforehand. :D

Sure, but having run the drill this way I find the reaction to a unintentional flooded or lost mask is such that you fall into the same mindset-it is almost like the cold water shock triggers a "focus on your breathing" reaction instead of the gasping, I-can't-breathe reaction.

Saturday, I managed to flood my mask in the middle of an air share, while digging around in my pocket finding my SMB to deploy. Water was maybe 46 degrees, and I am susceptible to the cold water shock reflex (and have been working on it). Even with someone on my long hose, and one hand in my left drysuit pocket, I was able to stop and fix the mask issue quickly without losing buoyancy control. I'll attribute that to practice with mask drills, and the conditioning of changing that reaction to one of focussing on breathing.

suthnbelle:
Dsteding, I will be moving out your way this summer so I guess being used to cold temps is a plus. :D

That is awesome to hear. I've chatted with your OE2X a bit--we've yet to connect and go diving--but hopefully all of us will get together at some point.

I have a feeling you'll love the PNW. I've been in Seattle for five years now and feel very fortunate to live here.

Be sure to get in touch with all of us once you get settled in.

-Doug

3-Ring Octopus:
Agreed with Danny. Make sure you start out neutral and then continue to breath regularly. If you're truly neutral and you simply continue your normal breathing pattern, you should drift up or down more than 1' or so at most.

Have fun with the cavern class and good luck!!

Cheers,
Austin

BINGO! IF you're neutral, it shouldn't matter what you're doing. One of my instructors has me do that as a good buoyancy check. I do it whenever I'm in a pool! (heck check out my profile pic..I'm doing it there!)

Buoyant1:
BINGO! IF you're neutral, it shouldn't matter what you're doing. One of my instructors has me do that as a good buoyancy check. I do it whenever I'm in a pool! (heck check out my profile pic..I'm doing it there!)

Yeah, but if you are neutral, take off the mask, suck in a big reflex breath then you won't be neutral anymore. That is when your buoyancy is going to go haywire, or in this case mine. :D I think I see what you're saying though. If I'm neutral I will ascend a bit but still keep my trim, correct? I guess I'm worried about ascending too much from a big breath or hitting the bottom from a coughing fit if I suck in water. Just something I need to work on.

I've got to work on keeping my breathing the same rate too.

Edit: Yep, I can just imagine those future PNW Scubaboard dive reports once I dive with the PNW group. :wink:

suthnbelle:
I guess I'm worried about ascending too much from a big breath or hitting the bottom from a coughing fit if I suck in water.

Just keep in mind that altitude changes due to buoyancy changes are fairly slow to progress. In other words, your sudden out-of-'tempo' inhale can be fixed. A coughing fit will be harder to remedy.

dsteding:
Sure, but having run the drill this way I find the reaction to a unintentional flooded or lost mask is such that you fall into the same mindset-it is almost like the cold water shock triggers a "focus on your breathing" reaction instead of the gasping, I-can't-breathe reaction.

Sure. I was just having fun.

Staying proficient with basic drills is very important (hence doing 'the five' and valve shutdowns each and every dive).

As you work on this (at least in the beginning)...
sinking is better than rising. You're close to the bottom to start and can't embolize that way. One finger down and you know where you are again.

After you have the routinue a bit more developed then try to eliminate the slight drop.

rjack321:
sinking is better than rising

Not necessarily.

Dahab%20-%20Blue%20hole.jpg

suthnbelle:
Usually water thru my nose too and ends in a coughing fit. LOL!

Hey Suthnbelle,

Try looking down when you take your mask off... I see this happen with students all the time... Mask off, head tilted up a little (or looking straight) & water (and bubbles) up the nose...Subsequent coughing. If you look down (or pull your chin towards your chest) it will help. Then just replace your mask & clear. Presto!

SassyScubaGal:
Then just replace your mask & clear. Presto!

If in cold water, I find it's easier to pull my hood back a smidgen so that the mask seats immediately.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom