Microbubbles (RGBM) & Uwatec Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigBill:
I have the Smart Com and too am trying to better understand the L0-L5 settings. Up until now, I have used the L0 setting and have had success, which is good. What would L1 do? I know L5 is the most conservative setting and have read and reread the manual and for the most part understand it. I guess what I might do is do a relatively shallow dive, say 40' and "test" the computer in L1 mode and see what happens. I always have a safety stop - computer or no computer. I started diving with analog gauges and have one as a back up.
L0 is "normal". L1-L5 are sucessivly more conservative dive profiles (a little less time at depth with more stops between you and the surface).

There's a moderately confusing chart in the manual that shows the same dive on the various MB settings, and where/how long the stops would be.

The higher MB settings are typically recommended for people with specific medical conditions like PFO.

Terry

cerich:
Honestly you may be overthinking the bubble thing for the diving you are doing.

Choice of safe recreational diving practices will go further towards reducing DCS risk than choice of recreational dive computer brand. Be well hydrated, rested, slow assent of less than 30 fpm, 1 min stop at 30 feet, 3-5 min stop at 10-15 feet, avoid hard exercise during dive trip and after diving, give yourself a 18 hour plus surface interval midway thru a weeks dive trip. Oh yeah read the manual!

The profiles used in the Wisdom are the MOST PROVEN available for recreational diving.

I totally agree with your first 2 paragraphs.

Can you elaborate on "most proven" please? Do you mean most widely used? Has the lowest frequency of undeserved hits?

Is the Wisdom a Buhlmann or Haldan-ian algorithm or something else (obviously its not RGBM).

rjack321:
I totally agree with your first 2 paragraphs.

Can you elaborate on "most proven" please? Do you mean most widely used? Has the lowest frequency of undeserved hits?

Is the Wisdom a Buhlmann or Haldan-ian algorithm or something else (obviously its not RGBM).

More dives, more units for the longest time while others were constantly "tweaking" theirs to give less and less dive time with liablility in mind but selling it as safety when there is zero proff it actually is.

The Wisdom has a haldan based DSAT algorithm. Same folks that do the PADI tables, which given the sheer numbers of divers using the PADI tables would have long ago been sued out of existance if they weren't great for recreational diving.

I have the smart tec and I use it on MB level 0. It shows both the remaining no-stop time and remaing bottom time. The RBT takes into account any mandatory stops, should you run out of no-stop time, and your preset reserve pressure.

I also need to know if the RBT time remains displayed even if your dive no requires/requests a deep stop. The manuals graphics do not show what the tank display looks like for this.

This is from the manual and it is not clear to me. It seems to be saying RBT is only air-time.[/QUOTE]

You are correct.

RBT is only air/gas available time and is calculated after factoring work-rate, depth, temperature at the current depth. It takes into consideration the air/gas required to safely reach the surface including the air and time required for stops and safety stop and still surface with the minimum preset tank pressure.

The minimum tank pressure may be preset using the smart-trak software and helps to avoid OOA situations.. When RBT=0, the remaining air in the tank is just only sufficient for you to make your safe and recommended ascent ie. observing all the stops including safety stop and still surface with your preset tank pressure. So, if your air consumption is high or your work-rate is heavy, it is possible for the Smart-com to warn you that you may run out of air even if you are well within the NDL limit.

This is one of the features which make this a great computer even though it makes a lot of noisy and irritating warning beeps when the alert is triggered. The computer will cease this audible alert when you ascent to 15 ft. The default minimum air on surfacing is set at 40 Bars and can be reset using smart-trak.

NDL ,level stops, deco stops are calculated from saturation and Micro buble levels.
RBT is calculated from air sufficiency and consumption rates.

I dove with the smart-com and a suunto Vyper during my last trip and did 15 dives over 6 days. all dives were between 80'-130'. I found that the Smart-com gave me more time compared to the Vyper and was more prompt to credit you as you ascent .I found that the RBT feature facilaitated safe air monitoring but the loud alerts can be annoying and get other divers wondering what's up. It nags at you if it thinks you are in danger of running out of air !!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom