Miflex vs Phantom Double Braided Kevlar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the chafing issue can be resolved by a simple re-routing of the hoses, placing it in a farther LP port forcing the hose to loop a bit more than if it were on a closer port. Especially on a Swivel 1st stage (IE: MK25)

I will be using the miflex hoses on My reg set Vs. the Phantom, we carry both and the flexibility is a better on the miflex.

my .02$

Regards

I believe the chafing issue is relative to people running a long hose (84") down under can light/knife/pocket and back up the other side and around the neck, where switching LP ports wouldn't do much to help.

I'm upgrading the hoses on my primary reg set to the Phantom Double Braided Kevlar hoses and was wondering if anyone else is using this brand and what do they think of them.
I like the fact that they are traditionally sized circumferentially so the SPG hose fits in a boot more aesthecially.
I think it looks kind of silly with a skinny hose in a regular size boot.

What is your objective? Wrong lengths, excessive wear on existing hoses, or personal desire? You can easily install a hardware store rubber bushing from the plumbing department to compensate for hose diameters if that is a limitation.

I think the chafing issue can be resolved by a simple re-routing of the hoses, placing it in a farther LP port forcing the hose to loop a bit more than if it were on a closer port. Especially on a Swivel 1st stage (IE: MK25)

I will be using the miflex hoses on My reg set Vs. the Phantom, we carry both and the flexibility is a better on the miflex.

my .02$

Regards

Does Miflex make a small diameter hose for a reg? I have a Miflex HP hose and love it. I would love a more flexible hose for my primary.

Does Miflex make a small diameter hose for a reg? I have a Miflex HP hose and love it. I would love a more flexible hose for my primary.

More flexible than a Miflex LP hose?

Hard to imagine that...

miflexblue(1).jpg

miflex-braided-knot_250.jpg

I was saying that the Flexibility of a Miflex hose is better than the Innovative Scuba Phantom Hoses. this is primary due the Diameter of the hose, the Miflex is a smaller Diameter than the Phantom. but the phantoms are the same size as the regular "rubber" hoses.

I keep forgetting about the "DIR" Guys with 84" hoses.

More flexible than a Miflex LP hose?

that...
_250.jpg[/IMG]

Yes RJP, I do have a miflex LP hose on my safe second, and I like it. I think the smaller dia of the HP would eliminate any jaw fatigue from hose pull. Right now my primary is a Micron with the braided hose that came with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes RJP, I do have a miflex LP hose on my safe second, and I like it. I think the smaller dia of the HP would eliminate any jaw fatigue from hose pull. Right now my primary is a Micron with the braided hose that came with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what kind of hose setup are you using? if you aren't doing the DIR thing, you might want to try a 90 degree swivel next to your second stage. I did that and switched to a 40" miflex routed under my arm and have had no problems with hose pull since, and the swivel makes donating my primary very easy.

I believe the chafing issue is relative to people running a long hose (84") down under can light/knife/pocket and back up the other side and around the neck, where switching LP ports wouldn't do much to help.
Absolutely. I tend to forget there are still people who do not use a long hose primary.

As noted previously, wearing a hood, even a 1mm hood would prevent the issue as will routing the hose through a short section of latex tubing strategically located on the hose.

-----

To be honest though, I don't see enough upside to miflex hoses to justify the higher cost in most cases. I got them for use in sidemount diving where I thought the lower profile and increased flexibility would be nice, with a side benefit of saving some hose weight on trips requiring airline travel.

What I have found is that the miflex hoses:

1. are very picky about oirientation, tend to take a set and consequently do not lay down against the tank as well as a normal hose,
2. tend to acquire broken fibers than then stick up out of the hose, and
3. that tends to greatly aggravate any chafing issues.
4. After using them for less than a year, I am not convinced I will see the same 10-20 year usable life I have seen with other LP hoses in normal use, although
5. they do tolerate sharp bends much better than a conventional rubber hose and do expand your hose routing options slightly, and
6. they are a lot lighter for airline travel.

While the Miflex hose certainly are lighter, I'm not sure the difference is enough of a justification:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/263262-miflex-hose-weights.html

Buy toothpaste and soap when you arrive and you'll make up the difference :)

I also find the Miflex hoses a bit "stubborn" for routing the long hose. They are torsionally much stiffer than rubber hoses, which makes routing and certainly S-drills a bit of a struggle when the hose refuses to "twist".

Henrik

I did a dive yesterday with my new Phantom hoses and they're great.
Not sure how they compare in relationship to miflex but they're a whole lot better than my regular rubber hoses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom