Miracle products (lower priced and has an avid following here on scubaboard)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

temet vince

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Ok, this is a really weird thread. I have a tendency to think of things in a really odd way; it comes with being different I guess, but we all love to breath underwater here which isn't quite normal, so bare with me! :dork2:

I'm still gathering scuba equipment here and there. I'm a researcher and I have noticed what I call "miracle products." These are products on scubaboard that has an avid fan base who will defend them to their death, and the products are usually less well known (not always), and usually cheaper/the underdog (not always). Products where, when you find a thread dedicated to them on scubaboard, you're like wtf, why didn't I know about this before!?

Examples:
BP/W setups in general (compared to the majority of rec divers who use jacket inflate) - in particular, zeagle express tech and ZKY's freedom plate.
Oxycheq Mach V wings - borderline miracle product. Any other suggestions?
Hog regs - obviously the prime example of a miracle product.
Jet fins and force fins. - Any other fins?

So if you all understand my "mindset" now, can you think of other products you feel fit in the same category? Not just products you like, but products that have a fanatical fan base here. Anything from flashlights to dive computers to masks to dry suits, anything at all. These are the type of things I like to own myself, so help please!

Uwatec bottom timers, anything made by Halcyon

Air 2's, the fan base is there, they're just not as verbose as the others.

Split fins as well.

Just an FYI, you might not want to make it your goal to own all the miracle products, you'll quickly go broke. :wink:

Light monkey lights. Not the cheapest, but their fan base is intensely loyal and very vocal.

DSS products in general.

Reactions: Jax
You may notice that a lot of your "miracle products" are championed by the same people which may say something about the reasons they chose those products, not just about the products themselves. Any product can be a "miracle product" provided it does what you need it to do, and somebody else's "miracle product" might be your addition to the "what'd you buy that you regret" thread if it doesn't suit your style and purpose of diving.

To answer your main question though: Zeagle has some vocal fans, not just for the Express Tech.

Uwatec computers in general.

+1 on Light Monkey and DeepSeaSupply (DSS)

Reason is the superb support by the manufacturers.

1. Uwatec computers, particularly the discontinued bottom timers (At least, I haven't been able to find them new anywhere).
2. Halcyon products
3. Air 2's
4. Split fins - never really thought of those. Thanks.
5. Light monkey lights
6. Deep Sea Supply in general.

Thanks everyone! You've given me some stuff to look into! Now... if only I had been a good boy this year perhaps Santa would bring me something. Instead, I have to work and save $$$ for all my new toys. :)

Air 2's, the fan base is there, they're just not as verbose as the others.

Split fins as well.

Just an FYI, you might not want to make it your goal to own all the miracle products, you'll quickly go broke. :wink:

You are just cruzin for a beat down by many members of this board. :)

BTW,

Absolutely yes on the Airsource (I use an Airsource 3 with one of my back inflate BC's when I am helping teach)

Go split fins. Love my Apollo Bio Fin Pro C's but still get made fun of by other "elitists"

It's interesting, how different groups champion different miracle products.

I for one, would only own several of the miracle products listed here if I hit my head very, very, very hard and forgot everything I ever knew, and was then re-trained on how to dive by a different cult of divers.

Air 2, Air 3...not interested. Jet fins? Too heavy, I find the Dive Rite fins to be a miracle product though. Long, just stiff enough, light, and work perfectly with both wetsuit and drysuit booties, plus a built in spring strap. Can't beat that with a stick! Force fins and split fins? Never tried force fins, and if my fins have a split, then I'm calling DR and having them mail me a new pair :) (hasn't happened, their fins are tough)

Oxycheq wings? They are not a bad product, but no miracle. I beat my gear up diving some tight side and no mount cave, and rarely wear through a 5 year old nylon wing. When I do, Dive Rite patches it for free and I'm on my way, I've never had the interior bladder breached.

Miflex hoses seemed like a miracle product but after two HP hoses blew up on me I decided that miracle product should stay away from water at all costs.

DSS puts a lot of thought into products, makes them well, and has a great presence to help if you need it. I think anything they do will earn them strong supporters.

Light Monkey is great, for similar reasons as DSS.

Miracle product? Without a doubt, the best miracle product ever is the P valve, and the associated "fittings" for divers!

(and I'm not an elitist, but many "miracle products" have no place in technical diving, while other miracle products will soon enough, such as lights as bright as a can light, but with such a power-dense battery, it fits on the back of your hand with no cord or can needed. It's not quite there yet, but the batteries are shrinking and the LED's are getting brighter...some people are already moving that way, and more will as the technology matures)

Reactions: Jax
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom