Mistake thread......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I surfaced early from a dive with 2 friends (I got seperated) and waited (they didnt surface) used the reg to swim back to the boat. didnt realize there was a current and made neg progress to get to the boat. Now with no air in tank to swim under the curent. I floated on the surface holding a lobster bouy for 25 mins waiting for them to finish thier dive and come pick me up. I don't dive with them anymore.

Penetrated a wreck with only 1 flashlight that got flooded out due to a bad/ mis-aligned o-ring. Sure enough the buddy I was with forgot his on the boat. Thankfully I had a wreck reel, and slowly followed the line back out. I will never make that mistake again.

Dave

Hey no one is perfect............we all make mistakes

My OW check out dives at Bainbridge Quarry had several DUH moments for me. The first day I did the snorkel dive to 15 feet with the key fob for the car alarm in my pocket. The diving went fine, but I couldn't get into the car without setting off the alarm. I could only turn the alarm off by removing the battery cable. I could not start the car without having someone else turn the key, while I touched the battery cable to the post.

The car was a company car, and I had to take it to work the following monday and explain how I flooded the key fob. Nobody believed me, they thought I dropped it in the toilet and was trying to make up an excuse! haha

The 2nd day I forgot my fins! One of the guys from the shop I was diving with let me use his. He was only there to do some fun dives, but he gave up a day of diving so that I could get certified! :thumb: (Thanks Joe!)

This is so embarrassing. It was my very 1st dive after being certified that I wasn't diving with one of the instructors. So, I'd guess around my 10th dive.

Place: Edmonds Underwater Park, Puget Sound.

I did not quite know how to calculate slack tide so we got caught in a current running toward the parked Ferry (damned big ***** boat).

My solution: wrap myself up in the kelp like an otter. My buddy called for help and the ferry launched a small dingy and picked up my buddy. Then, when they came to get me, I looked like the creature from the lagoon because I pulled out a bunch of kelp with me.

I wasn't going anywhere but this is a case of intentional entanglement. No idea how I would have gotten myself out later (after the ferry left) but the place has lots of divers so I'm sure I would have had help after the laughter died down.

(this happened today WOOO HOOOO!)

Did giant stride...decended to 15 feet while heading to mooring pin.... couldn't quite figure out why it was soo hard to descend until I pulled out my weight pouch and found it was empty. Had to go back to the boat and politely ask for weights. :)

Just had my 100th dive on Monday (WOOO HOOO) so, you are never tooo cool to fall on your face. lol

My biggest mistake was retrieving golf balls in Boynton Beach Florida! What did I do when I got gator bit? I bit him back!

Gator Bites Diver Retrieving Golf Balls

Wednesday, April 26, 2006
BOYNTON BEACH, Fla. - A diver hired by the city to retrieve golf balls from a lake was attacked by a 9-foot alligator that bit the man's arm, authorities said.

Stephen Martinez, 43, of Coral Springs, was treated at a hospital for injuries similar to a dog bite, said Palm Beach County sheriff's Lt. Rolando Silva.

"It's serious, but certainly not life-threatening," he said.

Martinez was under murky water at The Links golf course when a group of golfers heard him yell for help, said course manager Dan Hager.

The alligator apparently bit Martinez's air tank and tried to pull him under the water. Martinez grabbed a utility knife strapped to his dive suit and tried to stab the animal. That's when it bit his arm, Hager said.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission was investigating.

The alligator was trapped and will have to be euthanized, commission spokeswoman Dani Moschella said.

---

Information from: The Palm Beach Post, http://www.pbpost.com

While doing my AOW I was wearing my mask on the back of my head. We were finning out to a buoy to follow a line and I was chattering like a magpie with my buddy. Somewhere between shore and the line the mask slipped off my hooded head and sunk like a stone. My instructor retraced back to shore and found it on the bottom. -Brian

Headers:
While doing my AOW I was wearing my mask on the back of my head. We were finning out to a buoy to follow a line and I was chattering like a magpie with my buddy. Somewhere between shore and the line the mask slipped off my hooded head and sunk like a stone. My instructor retraced back to shore and found it on the bottom. -Brian
You're new - you can do better than what. :silly:

I don't pull on my snorkel to dump my BC anymore as my snorkel rides in my pocket, and I've only tried to scuba on my snorkel once. :blush: Weights and tank valve are often done out of order, still. My biggest mistake made the headlines on the Near Misses forum for months, still comes up at times, but I'm confident I can find new ways to screw up. Life is a journey of learning experiences, and diving broadens that part too. :thumb:

1. tried to decend without switching from snorkel to reg.
2. Acended into ceiling at local spring. Ouch!
3. gently landed on wreck deck to take picture of small sea animal. Deck was full of sea Urchins. Ouch again!
4. While on the bottom, let go of rope attached to dive float in 0' vis.
5. Compass navigation with metal object in one hand.

Best one - had to be there - was when 3 of us went salt water diving but didn't add extra weight from the previous days freshwater dive. We all bled the air out of our BC's and then sat there bobbing at the surface looking at each other.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom