Morrison and Vortex Springs 7-21 & Morrison 7-22-7 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

heliflyer:
1) any other locations that might be a good spot for first time Florida divers:)D ) in the Pensicola area?

You can dive the Pensacola Pier Rubble Reef located 150 yards from Pensacola beach.When you get to the beach go to were the bathrooms/showers are located walk directly from that building to the water. Go due south and you will run right into them. Max depth is 17 fsw, so you can have a nice long, enjoyable, safe dive for a beginner. If you want any more info on the location try calling MBT Divers their number is on their website www.mbtdivers.com I believe that most of their instructors actually encourage people to come out and dive with their classes, but to be sure contact them. They usually dive around 8:00am Saturday and Sunday, weather permitting.

I believe that Vortex still does rentals of everything you would need. Check their website to be sure. http://www.vortexspring.com/

Also Morrison springs is located the same distance from the highway as Vortex, you just turn the other way off the highway than you would for Vortex and its free :D .

snepdiver:
Hey SBM, Did you consume any adult beverages or did Rick's group and did you have any trouble?

I drank beer under the GrandView Lodge as well as in HalfTime's campsite without any problems whatsoever.

wjefferis:
I can't quite make out from the picture, is the pier above the "talkbox" fenced off from public access now? Can you only enter from the two steps now?

The floating dock is on Doc's property, but read the sign that SY posted a picture of... Vortex 'officials' didn't like people crossing over, but Doc doesn't have a problem with it as long as the gate is open.

heliflyer:
Hi! Have posted before about going to Ginnie Springs around Aug. 5th but the wife and I decided it may be to far a drive from Pensicola so we thought we would go to Vortex. My sister-n-law who lives in Pensicola heard Vortex was closed do to an algae problem but from your post here it is open, great! We are leaving to go down to Pensicola Sat. and hopr to go do some diving next week. Couple of questions
1) any other locations that might be a good spot for first time Florida divers:)D ) in the Pensicola area?
2) is Vortex opened on weekdays?
3) we will be bringing down our own gear except tanks and weights, are there rentals
and fills on sight?
Thanks for any further info that would help on our first trip to Florida!!

1) Morrison is about 10 miles south, and IMO its a much prettier, far more natural looking site.

2) Vortex is open 7 days a week.

3) Vortex can rent you anything(recreational) you need, you can't get anything at Morrison(including fills), so bring everything necessary to dive.

Thanks everyone for the info! The wife and I are getting excited about our trip and this info helps. My sister-n-law has recently been stationed there and she also dives and has been checking into dive locations and LDS's. But her computer crashed so I'm trying to do some logistics before we get down there. Will be sure to contact MBT dive shop and see if they wouldn't mind a few mid-westerners tagging along. Thanks again, and if anyone else has some ideas please keep them coming :D ..

If the purple flag is up at the beach don't dive! Or don't expect to get a good dive because we went last night and the jellies were so abundant you couldn't even dodge them.

Bugman and I went on Thursday with the purple flags up and had a great dive. We only saw about 6 or so jellies. It just all depends I quess.

Yeah, I guess they are just spotty :/ It sucks when they are thick though...

cmufieldhockey8:
If the purple flag is up at the beach don't dive! Or don't expect to get a good dive because we went last night and the jellies were so abundant you couldn't even dodge them.

:11: Any other warnings? :D

Yep, Doc and the new owners are having some sort of disagreement. I don't know what exactly its about, but Connie, Danny, Erica, ect have been fired.

The conflict does have some benefits. Probably not the kind that need to be posted here though.

SuPrBuGmAn:
Yep, Doc and the new owners are having some sort of disagreement. I don't know what exactly its about, but Connie, Danny, Erica, ect have been fired.

WOW, some big changes there... those guys were fixtures at that place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom