Mosquito No Gauge Mode?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went to Suunto's website and read the instructions for the Mosquito. It does not have a gauge mode, it is unlike the Stinger or Vytec, in that sense. It will, according to Suunto, go into lock out for 48 hrs., if allowed to go longer than 5 minutes in freedive mode. That is funky! The Mosquito is a stripped down version of the Stinger; a "Stinger lite" so to speak. I also got the impression that to use the stopwatch, you can not be in any of the dive modes. IMO, your choice should be between the D-3 bottom timer, or the Stinger( if you are looking for a watch sized computer or bottom timer). Gauge mode is what I use, with a Vytec, because I like the larger numbers.

I have the DiveRite Nitec+ as a back-up, it's about the same size & finish as the Mosquito. :D Same kind of backlight, long wriststrap (no problem over my drysuit, and the optional cinch strap works, too), two Nitrox mixes (1st to 50% at 1.4ata PO2, 2nd to 99% at 1.6ata PO2, PO2 values can't be changed). Second time zone, alarm, and dive planner on surface. All settings can be done on the computer, PC interface optional.
Costs more than the Mosquito (if I remember about a $100), less than the Stinger (several 100). It can be switched: gauge mode/computer, sea/fresh water, imperial/metric, 12/24 hrs.

Check it out at www.diverite.com and load down the manual.:D

I think dubya is kinda confused on what gauge mode is.

The Mosquito is a fully functional dive computer and will give you all computer information for the length of your dives.

What the Mosquito *doesn't* do, and what some other Suunto's *do* do is act as a bottom timer, displaying *only* depth, max depth, and bottom time.

I started a six day series of diving, using my Mosquito in free dive mode, thinking it would work like the Stinger. (guess I should have read the manual a bit more). What happened, was after 5 minutes, it continued to show depth and time and flashed ER every 30 seconds or so. Each night I was still able to download the dive data as if it were in a true guage mode, but the computer continued to show ER and wouldn't go to Air or Nitrox mode until it sat for 48 hours. It was a bit disconcerting to continue to dive with it flashing ER for all 6 days, but I had no choice. Since I wasn't relying on it for NDL information, it wasn't a big deal anyway. And I did not lose any of the dive data that it was recording.

After that 6 days of diving with ER flashing in the window, I purchased a Stinger. Besides, it is a far more robust computer/watch/bottom timer and more suited for the diving I do.

CrazyC

Thanks--that's good to know.

I looked at the Stinger, too--but didn't like the fact that I had to send it in to replace the batteries.

I concur with crazyc. I've been using the Mosquito as a backup timer for Trimix dives. Works fine in Free Dive mode but flashes ER at you periodically, other than that works. Reports depth/time correctly. You are locked out for 24 hours. In a pinch just pull the battery and replace it and your not locked out anymore, although do that enough and the gasket will leak.

Kev

dubya once bubbled...
Thanks--that's good to know.

I looked at the Stinger, too--but didn't like the fact that I had to send it in to replace the batteries.

If you just want it for gauge mode, why don't you save your $$ and spend $100 on a bottom timer, forgoing the computer functions?

I did a quick search and this as close as it looked for what I needed to know...

I'm thinking about getting a Mosquito for a dive computer. I'll do around 20-30 dives a year, mostly tropical stuff. Not planning on cave diving, DIRing it or anything like that.

Your basic rec diver who likes sitting around at 40-80 feet, checkin' out the fishies.

Will the Mosquito do the trick for me? I hear lots of people talking about the Stinger, but if I'm not putting hundreds of dives in each year, I have a hard time justifying the cost.

Thanks.

rugbydiver,

Mosquito will fill all your listed needs. I like its smaller size so I can use it as my regular watch while on vacation, as well. It is even fine for hundreds of dives/year along with nitrox should you desire that. My previous diving was the same as yours, only tropical and 20-30. I've just progressed deeper to where I need a more advanced computer now.

Kev

Back
Top Bottom