Moving to NYC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

t0by

Reaction score
# of dives
Hello.. I'm moving in a week or so to New York from the UK.

I'll be packing my drysuit and rec gear, but obviously not a tank/weights.

I would really appreciate some recommendations/must-sees and some tips on:

How easy is it to find a buddy on a boat?
How easy is it to get to typical boat marinas w/out a car?

Looking for wrecks. Wrecks. Wrecks. And it sounds like you guys have plenty of them.

cheers
Toby

Hi Toby

We do have lots of wrecks - I`m a relocated Brit also - getting out to the marinas without a car is close to impossible - but I have a couple of friends and we try and do a car rental share thing occasionally

Drop me a line when you get into town

Contact Hoboken Dive Center (www.gohdc.com) They are located right across the river from NYC. They run trips out of local marinas which are located about 60 miles from the shop. Usually you can alway hitch a ride down to the boat. Blue Fathoms is located nearby to the NJ Transit rail stop in Point Pleasant. Tony's website can be found at www.bluefathoms.com. His season will be running until late Oct/early Nov. depending on the weather.

Also, check out some of the local dive clubs at njscuba.net. It should be easy to hook up with someone heading out to either a boat or Dutch Springs for training/fun dives.

t0by:

Looking for wrecks. Wrecks. Wrecks. And it sounds like you guys have plenty of them.

cheers
Toby

My condolances.

YOu didn't indicate where you will be living. In Manhattan? (that's what we actually consider as "The City")

You said your packing your dry suit and rec gear, I hope you mis-spelled it and meant wreck gear.

There are boats in NJ and Brooklyn and SI (parts of NYC) as well as Long Island.
In addition to suggestions already made, check out
Eastern Dive Boat Association They have several member boats and list some w/o web sites of their own also.
Also not an EDBA member but good boat, Eagle's Nest

Thanks for the info.

DEEPLOU:
You said your packing your dry suit and rec gear, I hope you mis-spelled it and meant wreck gear.
QUOTE]

No,I meant 'rec', meaning that I 've not (yet) dived with a twinset, so if anyone was offering to go diving w/ me, they'd know that I was on a single tank.

I'll be in the city ;-)

Toby- Welcome to NY and the Wreck Valley club. I'm sure you'll find plenty of dive sites and buddies to match your skill level and equipment.

We have everything from safe bathtub diving (Dutch Springs), right up through the Andrea Doria and everything in between.

Let us know when you're settled in and ready to do some diving.....

Scott

t0by:

cheers
Toby

NJ Scuba Divers Message Board

Welcome to the area and be sure to dive in just as soon as you can since within the next 6 weeks or so the water starts its' downward spiral to winter conditions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom