Mubarak resigns!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think that Iran is next by any means. The ruling regime there has substantial grass roots support. The Iranian government has had many achievements for the country whereby most Arab regimes haven't achieved anything except slogans and staying power. If and when people in Iran start a sustainable uprising, it will be bloody and far worse than what happened in Tunisia or Egypt.

Well it looks like Algeria might be next, but I still would not discount Iran, you are right about the possibility of that one being bloody though.

The Algerian regime has no mercy, other regimes pale in comparison. That will be another bloody brutal event.

Power to the People!!!

texswamper,

Is there good diving where you are now (Angola)?

None that I know of. We've been in Luanda since July 2008 and I don't know of any dive operator or even any place that would fill tanks. Angola is trying to focus on rebuilding since the war ended in 2002. Besides, Luanda is the most expensive city in the world now to live in so I can't imagine what someone would charge if they did have a dive operation! A head of cauliflower here can cost $20 USD and a head of iceberg lettuce goes for more than $100 USD!

Angola does have a lot of deep sea fishing however, so maybe diving will be in it's future. However, the water temp of the Atlantic ocean would probably keep me diving on the other side of Africa.:D

None that I know of. We've been in Luanda since July 2008 and I don't know of any dive operator or even any place that would fill tanks. Angola is trying to focus on rebuilding since the war ended in 2002. Besides, Luanda is the most expensive city in the world now to live in so I can't imagine what someone would charge if they did have a dive operation! A head of cauliflower here can cost $20 USD and a head of iceberg lettuce goes for more than $100 USD!

Angola does have a lot of deep sea fishing however, so maybe diving will be in it's future. However, the water temp of the Atlantic ocean would probably keep me diving on the other side of Africa.:D

Ouch. Why is it sooo expensive? How do you manage?

The latest "proclamation" (no. 4) by the Egyptian military command that was just announced a couple of minutes ago is very encouraging.

Ouch. Why is it sooo expensive? How do you manage?

First, let me correct my last post! Lettuce is not $100 but at least $10, a big difference.:D We manage because companies pay salaries and premiums accordingly for us to be able to buy everything we need. For the local Angolans it's not possible and as in many other countries, they are the ones who are really suffering. Many people say that it's so expensive due to the shipping costs of goods, but I think it's more because of greed. Supply and demand.

So well said Crowley.. I know I am a little late with my reaction here.. but what a momentous day for Egypt.

Like you I was completely dismayed by Mubarak's speech on Thursday night, totally depressed by Friday morning thinking that the only end that I could see was a violent one, with hundreds of demonstrators being rounded up and suffering god only knows what consequences.

Even as we watched it being announced on the news, we weren't quite sure whether it was for real... we had been alternating between Arabic and English in the bar T2, so were relying on a friend's translation at that point. The whole pub was kind of hushed for a moment in disbelief.. Wow! Had it really happened??

My congratulations go out to all my Egyptian friends and colleagues here... I know there is much work to do, but at least you now have the chance to do that work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom